Skip to main content

So Good!



I just tasted our first batch of applesauce.  I enjoyed it with a sprinkle of organic cinnamon.  Absolutely delicious. 
Secretly, I went back inside for seconds.   I'm on the hunt for more apples.  Word has it, that this winter will either be worse than last winter, or longer.  I want to be sure my pantry is bursting with goods.



There's nothing better than a real (made with sugar) coca-cola.  So refreshing! I don't drink soda pop on a regular basis, so this was a nice treat.  

Not sure what we'll get done today, but one thing that needs done today is dig up the septic cap.  



I actually had to write out a new "Top Priority" list for Hubby.  He's under fire now.  

Once we get job #1 done, it will be back in the garden again.


Comments

Sandra said…
I love homemade applesauce, and I'm not a fan of coca-cola, it actually hurts my stomach, but once in a while I love a nice cold one from a glass bottle, just like that :)
Mama Pea said…
We're still trying to round up some apples so I can make applesauce. I think we may have located some organically grown ones, I hope, I hope. I sure don't want us to be eating a bunch of toxic sprays and insecticides in our applesauce!

When you wrote about sprinkling cinnamon on your sauce, it reminded me that a combination of cinnamon and honey is supposed to be especially good for us. Something about the way the two react with each other. You could drizzle a small amount of honey on your sauce before sprinkling on the cinnamon. We've been doing the cinnamon/honey thing on our toast in the morning.
The applesauce looks delicious pal! And are you kidding me about the winter!?!?! My goodness I am not ready for another one like that! And that comic is spot on! Loved it! Happy week to you! Nicole xo
Susan said…
Your applesauce looks delicious! I'm lucky to live in a town in upstate NY surrounded by apple orchards (and wineries) so there's never a shortage here.
Sandra, I stashed a few extra bottles of that pop in my fridge. Ha ha!

Mama Pea, the honey and cinnamon together sounds wonderful!

Nicole, I've heard so many people tell me the winter will be bad.

Susan, we only have 2 orchards nearby and both spray.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart