Skip to main content

Canning it Up



I canned more pints of pizza sauce.  There was no voting on what to can, considering we had just made pizzas the night before.  I'm exhausted this morning.  I was sealing jars way past 7pm, and still had laundry that needed to come off the line.  On a Sunday no less. 

After getting the laundry down. . .


I took a few moments on the front porch.  The sunset is in the opposite direction, and really wasn't that exciting, so I photographed the moon and the blue and pink sky (that was continuously changing).  Hubby worked 2nd shift, and I'm glad he did.  If he had another headache, he would have not wanted to be home (loud music, loud engines continued all day and night).



I've seen two large groups of geese flying in their "V" formation, flying south.  This morning, after I came inside from watching the sunrise, several more flew by.

Last night it got pretty chilly (perfect camping weather if you ask me), but I am loving it.  Just another sign the garden is about to complete it's season for us.




This morning's sunrise was very pretty.  There were lots of pinks in the sky.

Update on the pizza sauce:  Delicious!  I used a recipe from food.com, but there are many, many recipes out there.  I used my sauce maker for the recipe (vs. peeling them), and added extra onion and garlic.  Also, I put 1 Tbsp. of organic lemon juice in each pint before filling it with pizza sauce.  The recipe states "tomatoes" and not very specific other than a number of them.  I used paste tomatoes. My family was amazed that the pizzas tasted so good.  I do use as many home grown herbs in my recipes, so that may make a difference in flavor as well.

I'm looking for non-gmo, organic/heirloom onion seeds (or starter plants), for large yellow onions.  If you have a resource that you already use, I'd love to hear your experience and advice.  The onions we buy and plant here are not large enough for all my canning needs.  I love Baker and Territorial, but have never ordered onions via the mail.  Anyway, I would love to know where you get your onions, so I can plan for next year's garden.  


I still have more tomatoes yet to can up.  This might just be the last of them, other than some large ones still lingering here and there.  Maybe.
 
This week (or as soon as I can), I'll be writing up a "how-to" on my stitched cards to share.  

Comments

Sam I Am...... said…
Sorry, I can't help you on the onions. Your photos of the moon are gorgeous.
What yarn/thread and what size crochet hook do you use on your bookmarks? I love your key chains and bookmarks that you make.
I use cotton #10 crochet thread. I'll look for the title the patterns are in, and let you know. I'll try to post it soon. I used #10 thread on the eyeglass cases too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart