Skip to main content

Garden and Porch Time


I spent about three hours pulling monstrous size weeds from the garden, just so I could get to the potatoes.  Mission somewhat accomplished.  I have about six feet left to dig up yet.  There is nothing worse than leaning down to pull a weed, only to be poked in the eye by five foot foxtail.  Ouch!  And the kids thought they'd get to eat at the table this week, ha ha!  Not.  That photo only shows a portion of them.  My goal is to get all of them dug up before I even start canning the rest.

I weeded in between the peppers and green beans (beans are drying on the plants for next year's seeds) and discovered more green and red bell peppers.  Yay! 

Soaked and drenched with sweat by 11am, I stopped, stripped my mud/sweat covered clothes and did a load of wash.  I have to be smart and get the yuck off after I am done, due to my allergies.  
 


Breakfast was for dinner  - veggie omelets.  I have more hot peppers too.  After I got all the veggies cooking, Hubby sent me to the porch to relax while he cracked the eggs.  We were out there after dinner for about a hour, and two farm combines passed us.  The corn dust flew like a dust storm.  I didn't think anything of it, until I got ready for bed and saw my red, bloodshot eyes.  Ugh.  I'll have to remember to take my allergy remedy regularly this time of year.  

That is Ava (I think).  I was out taking photographs for Daughter in GA.  I plan to get some photos developed to send her (and Son).  It looks like Ava has a horn, but that is Peanut standing behind her.  I think Ava wanted to snack on my camera, ha ha!

Well, the sun is almost up, and I am already behind in today's chores and list of "to-do's."    I've got two lists now.  One for winter prep that has dollar signs hovering (and stressing me out) over it, and one with the top priorities of the day.  Housework chores are simply done when I can get them done (here and there and in between).  However, I always make room for "porch time" in every day's work.  I'm following my Aunt's advice.

Comments

Kim said…
I agree, porch time is a must.
Look at all of those potatoes! Man you are awesome! I love hearing about your harvests! Wishing you a wonderful weekend friend....and love that shot of Ava! Nicole xoxo
RB said…
Our Dad tried very hard to keep enough room between all the rows of crops to fit the tiller through. That way we only really had to weed between the plants instead of between the rows.

I love porch time too. Our old house had a nice large one we sat on daily, liking to take our morning coffee out there, but our new one just has a covered stoop, large enough to catch dirt, dust and spiders, but too small to sit out on.

God bless.

RB
<><

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart