Skip to main content

Corn Cob Syrup ~ More Tomatoes




I did not go looking for this recipe.  I found it in a library book - Pearls of Wisdom, Tops, Shortcuts, and Recipes from a Country Home, by Deborah S. Tukua, who adapted their recipe from Countryside Magazine.  The actual color is more of a amber brown than the color it shows in the photo.




Later I found several on the internet as well.  Some recipes call for brown sugar, and some for white.
   

I cut each of my corn cobs in four pieces, using 24 corn cobs.  They seem to kind of float until they boil.


After boiling two hours, I strained the liquid two times, the second time with cheesecloth.

I used half honey, and half brown sugar (what I had on hand, recipe called for either).  I think I will use all brown sugar next year.

They say not to refrigerate after opening, or it will turn to a butter-like consistency. 

I water-bath sealed my jars for 10 minutes.  Just to be safe.    I might be able to use it in place of expensive, pure maple syrup in recipes too. 

Two of the girls already tried the syrup on waffles last night.  I did too.  We all agree there was a strong honey flavor vs. the brown sugar, so it's definitely all brown sugar next time.  Otherwise, it's pretty good!  Looks like we are tilling up more land next year for a lot of non-gmo/organic sweet corn.



Yesterday, when I went to the front porch to read the day's devotional, I flipped through my book and found this.  My Aunt sent it to me years ago.  It says, "Each morning when I open my eyes, I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today.  I can choose which it shall be.  Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet.  I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it."


The day did not end with canning syrup.  I picked about a dozen hot banana peppers, so those were sliced and frozen.

The same with some jalapenos.

And we got more green beans.  This has been a very good green bean year too.

I brought in over 75-85 pounds of tomatoes last night.  I guess I will be busy this weekend again.  With such a good tomato year, I could use a 6 burner stove right now.  I'd love to cook up 50 lbs. at once for pizza sauce and then another 10 for ketchup, and if I have another 6 lbs, more taco sauce.  I could always make tomato juice, or I could can tomato soup.

Rain is in the forecast, so I hope they are right.  It will give me an excuse to hunker down and get more indoor work done too.

Comments

Unknown said…
I have never heard of such a thing! How interesting. I love the use of every little bit of something.
Mama Pea said…
You're hoping for rain to stay indoors to do the inside work and I'm hoping for sun so I can get out in the garden to work!

I've heard of Corn Cob Jelly but not syrup. Don't you just love the fact that the old-times found a use for just about everything they could grow or raise. I like the expression that when they butchered a hog they used everything but the squeal of the pig!

Good luck with your tomatoes. What a delight to have enough to make all that luscious food from them!
Susan said…
You come up with the most fantastic recipes! I have made corn cob jelly, but never this. Now I will have to try it, darn you. I am also under a deluge of tomatoes - what a wonderful predicament!
M.E. Masterson said…
Corn cob syrup sounds really good. Never heard of it before...will have to look into that
Sam I Am...... said…
I have never heard of that and being raised in IL corn country you'd think I would have. What a great idea especially if you have the non-gmo corn! Since we don't have maple trees for syrup this is a great idea. I know my Mother did say they used to make sorghum which I love on biscuits but that requires lots of work and heating outside I think. Good for you!
I really wish we had more land to grow our own corn....can't stand GMO's. Good for you for taking action! Wishing you a wonderful weekend friend! Nicole xoxo

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart