Skip to main content

Barter and other Tidbits


Hubby found someone at work who was willing to share some garlic.  We bartered, and gave him a jar of homemade Cinnamon-Blueberry Jam.


I filled three trays with sliced garlic, to dry and grind into garlic powder (I use a small coffee bean grinder).

I saved the last tray for minced garlic.  I dry it on a piece of parchment paper.  While garlic is very good for us, I'd rather know where, and how it was grown, before I feed it to my family. 




I got the pinto bean fence picked, but will wait for the rain to pull the plants.  I think we'll have enough for one meal, even though Hubby stripped my harvest early.  He's still feeling bad about that.  

We would have had six (or more) times the harvest had he not.  I only got 1 1/2 lbs. of beans this season.  Next year, I'm taking "Danger" tape and putting it across my pinto/black bean fence next year.


I stole a few minutes on the porch yesterday, and drizzled my applesauce with elderberry infused honey (thanks for the suggestion Mama Pea) and a sprinkle of organic cinnamon.  Mmmmm!  I really need to find more apples, and at a good price too.

It's pitch dark right now and the rain is pouring down.  At 5:00am I was running out my back door in my jammies and slippers to retrieve my popcorn I accidentally left out.  Thank goodness the raccoons didn't find it.  Phew!

I love the sound of the rain pitter pattering on the roof.  I think I'll take it slower this morning, and write letters to my military kids on the front porch before I start any work.

Comments

Mama Pea said…
Haha! Had to laugh at the thought of you putting the "Danger" tape (how 'bout electric fencing?) across your dry bean planting . . . this year you could have put up some "Crime Scene" tape after your unknowing hubby did the damage!

You lucked out in that the raccoons didn't find that lovely little lunch of popcorn last night!
Mama Pea, I am on the hunt for that "Danger" tape so I am prepared next spring, ha ha! An electric zapper would do the trick too, ha ha ha ha!
Oh writing letters~
something, I considering as well as journaling for posterity!
that applesauce looks delicious.
We used to purchase apples by the crates when the chair factory was in town. It was Mennonite owned and in the Fall, they'd send a truck load of chairs and furniture north to PA to sell-- but the truck always came down loaded with apples. You could purchase different varieties in crates. The Mennonite neighbor down the street taught us how to make applesauce. It was delicious!
Now...I'd have to go to the Dallas Market for apples. They want an arm and a leg for them.
rain sounds lovely. We need some- badly.
I've got laundry on the line today-- but if it were to rain, I DON'T THINK I CARE! :)
Liz said…
I need to get my garlic in the ground! I forgot about the hubby and your beans. Bummer! That applesuace looks so good.
Sam I Am...... said…
I think it's a common problem. My daughter's husband did the same thing! I liked Mama Pea's suggestion about electric fencing! LOL!
I wish I could hear anything in this house. It's so well insulated that I can barely hear thunder.
Your beans are beautiful though despite the small harvest.
The applesauce looks yummy especially the way you fixed it.
I need to be on the lookout for apples. Take care!
RB said…
Here ya go Kristina...
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cordova-3-in-X-1000-ft-Red-Danger-Barricade-Tape-HDT15211/202817403
And only $6.85 for a 1000 foot roll too.
LOL
God bless.
RB
<><

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart