Skip to main content

Sunday Sunrise

While most folks are out buying fall mums for their garden, I was out searching for clearance priced rose bushes. Why?

Hubby and I face the financial dilemma of fencing two portions of our property (due to the mud bogger goers who trespass on our property).

Saturday flew by too fast for us.  Although we really want to rent a sod cutter, we opted to get roses planted, and deal with the sod next spring.

The northeast corner, where they drive in (and farmers do as well without even asking us) from the highway, will now have a row of four pink rose bushes.  These are long stem roses, so they can even be cut and enjoyed indoors.  And they smell wonderful.  They are, however loaded with thorns, which for us, could be a good thing.  In the spring we'll be landscaping that northeast corner ourselves.  

Updating here, since this post is becoming popular by viewers - found out that after Hubby and I were done planting, and left for town for errands, a vehicle (described to us by a daughter), slowed by the rose bushes, rolled down a window, then sped off.  Taking a photo perhaps?  Why so interested, right?  Well, while Hubby and I were planting (after only one was in the ground) guess who drove by?  Yep.  Mud bog man left his business to drive by and see what we were up to.   He also saw us getting into our car to run errands in town, while driving by the other direction. 

Coincidence this vehicle came by after we left?  Not sure, but it is interesting to know that simply planting a few rose bushes could stir up so much attention.







I was up early to sip coffee and watch the sunrise this morning.


It was so quiet, I could hear roosters crowing from all over the area, including our own.


Here is the most recent hand stitched note card I finished.  Once I get the holes in the cardstock, the stitching actually goes quite quickly.

Comments

Mama Pea said…
LOVE your autumnal note card!
Thanks Mama Pea, I was hankering for some fun time, and thought of all those fall colored leaves. Not much free time today - canning more pizza sauce.
Roses are always lovely...but probably no match for mud boggers :/
4 wheelers :/ or tractors. :/
I hope you're able to get fence soon.
Your sunrise photos are beautiful.
That card is lovely.

Unknown said…
Good idea. I always buy things in the fall on sale, from the summer. No mums for me... Maybe you should put up some steel post supports for your roses? In concrete ;)
Pat, we hope to fence it soon.

Nancy, good idea (he he!)
EMMA said…
Love that card - what do you do to make the holes?
Hope the roses will keep people off your property. We have been wanting to put up fencing for a while now but it's so expensive!
It took us 2 years to get our new goat fence up, so it may take awhile to get these other fences up too.

Emma, I thought I had put a tutorial on my blog, on making those stitched cards (but cannot locate it). I'll work on writing one up so you can see how I do it (hopefully soon).
RB said…
I hope they don't just run down your rose bushes.
And your embroidered cards remind me of the old sewing cards little girls use to have in the past, that taught us how to sew.
God bless.
RB
<><
Sam I Am...... said…
Good for you and hubby finding a way to get your point across...were they "peace" roses? LOL!
Your autumn card is darling and what a lovely handmade item.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart