Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits



I made my first cabbage and egg omelet.  That is not red cabbage either.  It's leftover cabbage I had previously cooked up with beets from the garden.   I fried it in a small bit of non-gmo organic canola oil, then added a tiny bit of organic soy sauce.  I poured in two scrambled eggs.  I simply used salt and pepper and a bit if cheese in the middle.  Absolutely delicious!    Mama Pea over at A Home Grown Journal, mentioned cabbage for breakfast (with eggs).  I just had to try it.




I'm going to try making this next year with homemade cream cheese or other homemade cheese.

If my brain had been all together thinking straight, I would have fried some onions, peppers and potatoes for a breakfast side too (or squash hashbrowns).



Lunch was a root beer jelly and peanut butter sandwich, an apple, and non-gmo chips (okay so I put a little too many on my plate, ha ha!).  I had to at least try it so folks could know.  It is (the jelly that is) good with peanut butter, but spread it thin.  The root beer jelly is very sweet.  You only need a little bit.

As you can tell, I took it a bit slower yesterday, but still got some work done. I finished crocheting an eyeglass case for myself.




This is the latest book (non-fiction) I am reading from the library.  I have had it, but have had little time to read it.  It's due back soon, so I hope to be able to finish it.  It's about three female US Army National Guardsmen, who join the military for different reasons, but never imagined having to go to war. 

The weather is warming up in the afternoons, so I'm back in the garden early while it's still cool out.  Then it's back inside to write.  I'm currently working on a short story.  

This cooler weather is begging me to bake something yummy.  Maybe more granola bars?  Or possibly banana bread.  Hm.  Both sound good with a hot cup of tea on the porch today.








Comments

Liz said…
These cool mornings have me in the baking mood. I have cinnamon swirl banana bread in the oven now!
Susan said…
How did I miss this? I have cabbage! I have eggs! I will have to try it. I love that eyeglass case - you are so talented! BTW, there is no such thing as too many potato chips on your plate.... :)
Liz, that sounds delicious.

Susan, you made me laugh about the potato chips! Ha ha!
Kim said…
I eat all kinds of veggies for breakfast. I will have to try the cabbage omelet.
Sandra said…
I actually really love cabbage, I will most definitely have to give this a try.
Mama Pea said…
I love the way you used the cabbage and eggs! When I first saw the picture, I thought it was an omelette with chipped dried beef in it!

I'm with you on the potato chips. (I just wish they were a main food group!)
It was really good, and I would have never thought of putting cabbage with eggs.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart