Skip to main content

Blueberries and Red Onions?



The thought of blueberries and onions peeked my curiosity.  So, in honor of my Aunt, I picked a recipe from the Country Woman magazine she sent me.  I chose "Savory Blueberry Onion Jam."   The recipe uses a lot of red onions and some blueberries.  It even uses honey. 



I have to admit, I borrowed daughter's goggles to cut up the onions, but used my food processor to chop them all up.  The recipe came from the person's Aunt too.  According to the magazine, it was a winner in a contest.



Check out all those onion peelings!  If I had something to dye this fall, I would use them for a dye.

The only problem was I had well more than 6 - 1/2 pints.  I emailed the magazine to find out if there was a mistake in ingredients or in yield, and am waiting to hear back.  I followed it exactly as written in the magazine (which is also online).  I hope their ratio of onions to blueberries was correct.   

Update (9/25/14):  I received an email back, but with more questions for them, they are to get back with me again.  As far I know, they are telling me 16 cups of onions should reduce to 6 cups.  It did not happen for me, and I got well more than 6 - half pints, so I am using it to try with other recipes.  They have since changed the name, and you now have to register to view the recipe.  Our first taste test revealed an "ok" but not an "awesomely good make it again" rating.  We won't be canning this recipe again. 

Vegetable Soup:  Does not work well due to the balsamic vinegar


Roasted vegetables:  Works well

We'll update as we try it with other recipes.  Possibly a french onion soup or black bean and corn salsa (basically any recipe that uses red onions and balsamic vinegar, because the vinegar is very evident in the flavor of it).




I'll update this when I find out if the recipe and yield are correct.  This might be good on pork tenderloin.  

I'm starting to pull plants from the garden now.  Still preserving, but ready to remove dead stuff and get it ready for winter.  We finally go our rain last night, so weeding will be much easier now.  The temperature got up to the 90's and felt like 100° yesterday.  Today, it is to cool down to a high of 70°, but more rain.  A huge drop in temperature.

I worked on a stitched card last night, but was too lazy to take a photo of it.  I'll try to share on another post.

Comments

Sam I Am...... said…
What an interesting combination. Did it taste good? that's all I'm ever interested in is the taste. LOL! Your idea of having it with pork sounded like a great idea.
I can't wait to see your "stitched card".
We're supposed to get rain and cooler temps too thank goodness as it was 97 yesterday.
We haven't tasted it yet, but will post an update when we do.
Michelle said…
Let me know how it tasted. I am still waiting for my tomatoes to finish ripening so I can plant my fall/ winter garden.
EMMA said…
Blueberries and red onions - that must taste amazing.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart