Skip to main content

Dirty Work


Like many of you, I have been madly ripping out my garden (and a long way from being finished).  I still have potatoes, a few pie pumpkins, popcorn and a small bit of pinto beans to harvest.  It's been such a blessing this year.


Youngest looked at my fingernails and said, "Oh my Mom, I need to paint these."

Silly girl.  Dirt is my current nail color.  

I'm still getting a few last glady blooms around the front porch, and enjoying them.  I have a box of tulip bulbs that need planted soon, for spring blooms.  I'll be squeezing that into my fall work schedule.

It rained pretty hard during the night so it'll be too wet to work in the garden.  Not sure yet about splitting wood, but Hubby is still working on his truck repair too.  To be honest, after I watched the sunrise, the sky looks like we could get more rain today.  

As far as job searching goes, most everything is done online anymore.  It takes about 1 hour to finish one particular application.  No wonder my kids complained about job searching.  You can't just fill out an application, attach your resume, and hand it to a person.  It's kind of frustrating.



Last night three of us started a game of cards on the front porch.  We ended up playing with a camping lantern, until the rain and wind arrived, blowing are cars around.  We did have a good time anyway.  

Comments

M.E. Masterson said…
Good Luck on the job search.

Garden here is still thriving but I do look forward to the end of it. A needed rest is in order....
Love the nail color!! And that gladly is so pretty!! I hear you on the job applications! Everyone I know gets so frustrated with the current job application process....takes way too long. Have a great week ahead and I love a good game of cards!! Nicole xo
Mama Pea said…
For once, we haven't had rain in the last 24 hours so back out into the garden for more clean-up is on the schedule for me today.

Your card playing on the porch sounds like a good way to wind down of a Saturday night.
didn't get any of the gardening done this weekend...
so my coop and gardens are still on the list.
will be worked on Monday or Tuesday.
Wednesday-- lunch with my grandson at school. Grandparents day!
Love a nice family game of cards...on the porch sounds fun.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart