Skip to main content

Weekend Tidbits ~ Baked Beans with Bulgur

The weekend brought more rain and more cold weather.  We brought the tomato and pepper plants inside Saturday night (still in their flats).   And because the news forecaster mentioned temperatures as low as "freezing" we brought in my few porch pots.


"Are these good sheets your using?" exclaimed Hubby.

"Yep." I calmly answered.  "Unless you want to lose any of these 50-some plants to frost."

In between rain showers, work continued over the weekend - repairs, cleaning coops, yard work, garden work, and indoor chores (which included a complete cleaning of the refrigerator).  Of course Hubby made sure he was scarce for those jobs, but felt guilty when he had returned.  It took me 2 hours to clean the fridge alone (not even cleaning the freezer).  He must have felt very guilty, because he weeded my rose bed while I was inside making creamed corn for dinner.

With the extra rain, I took a teensy bit of  "chill time" to read over some recipes.    By teensy I mean miniscule.   Sunday we hit the garden, yard and flower beds hard.  I was so tired Sunday night, but I still put together chicken kabobs to grill around 7pm.  

Anyway, one recipe caught my eye - Baked beans with Bulgur.  I decided to make it without the salt pork (one kiddo does not like bacon), using vegetable stock, and sorghum vs.  regular molasses.   I also baked it in the crock pot vs. the oven (for 8 hours) I'm sharing the recipe.  

Baked Beans with Bulgur
(adapted from Home Grown Whole Grains, by Sara Pitzer)
1 cup dry navy beans 
1 cup bulgur
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup sorghum
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dry mustard
3 cups stock (or water) 

Rinse and soak beans overnight in cold water (directions are on the package as well).  In the morning drain and rinse them.  Place them in a crock pot with remaining ingredients, and cook on low for 8 hours.  Note: I used 4 cups organic/non-gmo vegetable broth and 2 cups water.  It's just what I had on hand.  Also, I did have to stir this every so often, as the bulgur will stick to the crock pot sides.

The results?

  

The flavor was delicious.  You can definitely taste a different texture due to the half beans/half bulgur mixture.  I don't think everyone (who is used to simple baked beans) will like this, but my family loved it.  Hubby loved it even more, because he knew it was good for us.

I had a minor emergency trip to town this morning, so (with a delayed start) I stopped in for an update.  However, I am heading back out to the garden (after I put another load laundry out on the clothesline).  I forgot how painful gardening is to the body.

It's all good.
 


Comments

Kim said…
It is that time of the year and after the winter that we had our bodies are not prepared.
Liz said…
I wish this cold weather would just disappear! Those beans look great. I sure had an achy back after spending all day in the garden.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart