Skip to main content

Mexican Chicken


Years ago, we discovered a recipe that was a family favorite.  However, it contains three cans of condensed cream of chicken soup and one of celery soup.  Needless to day, I have not made it in many, many years.


Yesterday I made the recipe, and used homemade soups, organic chicken, and organic tortilla chips (which were made with non-gmo oils, believe it or not).  It took a few days to make my soups ahead of time, but it was worth it. 

Here is the recipe.  

Again, I substituted the "cans" of soup with homemade.


Mexican Chicken
3 lbs. chicken, cooked, and shredded or diced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1 pkg. taco seasoning* or homemade
3 cans condensed cream of chicken soup, or homemade
1 can condensed cream of celery soup, or homemade
1 med. pkg. tortilla chips
1 small can green chilies, chopped
*Optional:  sour cream 

Brown diced onion in olive oil over low heat.  What onion is browing, combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl, crushing the tortilla chips into it.  Add browned onions.  Stir. Pour into 9 x 13  inch baking dish (I prepared my dish with a bit of olive oil).  Sprinkle cheese on top.  Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until cheese melts and bubbles.

Note:  I do not use the packaged taco mix.  I make mine from scratch and I used that in my recipe. For a "medium pkg." of tortilla chips, I estimate about a 10-12 oz. bag of chips when using 3 "cans" of cream of chicken soup.  Otherwise, if you use more, the recipe will turn out dry.

Comments

RB said…
Our brother is extremely sensitive to MSG. I have two recipes that use canned soup (one with tomato and one with cream of mushroom), and we've found that Healthy Choice and Campbell's Healthy Request canned soups don't have it, so I can use them, but even then, I compare the salt/sodium content of them both to see which has less because canned soups are terrible at having too much of that too.

God bless.

RB
<><

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart