Skip to main content

Homesteading ~ Healing the Injured


....it's 10:00am, and I know I'm forgetting to do something  - watered the goats and chickens, cleaned the coop, planted the apple tree, watered the newly planted stuff, put laundry on the line.....there has to be something....

Anyway,
we are one few people who still have some carpeted rooms.  One partial room is getting shampooed today.  The weather is perfect and it will be dry before the kiddos get home.

While that's drying I need to prepare a nice dinner for my brother and his family.  Shortly after his wife gave birth, she fell on the stairs and broke her ankle.  With two other boys, and my brother going back to work, they were/are in need of some help.

Update on barn cat Timmy:  He's got another infection.  It could be from all the injuries he has from whatever/whoever he got in a fight with.  $45.00 vet bill.  Cha-Ching.  He's inside in a dog kennel, but he stinks (what is it with male barn cat's urine? Ugh!).  As soon as he heals, he's getting neutered, so he'll hopefully stay out of trouble.  




Sparta is now walking about 5-6 steps before he sits back down again. The splints are working on helping him recover. His rear-end feathers need a good washing.  Poor guy couldn't stand up for several days.
  
Well, I have a whole list of other chores to get done today.....oh!  Now I remember - pick any asparagus.  Sheesh, I was already out there about 3 times now.  I think I need a voiced commanded alert on my cell phone or something.  They probably already have that. Ha ha!

Enjoy the day!

 


 

Comments

Kim said…
Yup, they sure do!! We are getting so much rain I will not be planting for weeks and not watering for longer than that.
Michelle said…
Glad to see he is getting better.
EMMA said…
My my you do have a lot of injured ones to heal at the moment.
Hope your carpet cleaning went well - that must be a big job!!
Just arrived home from a holiday and it's pouring with rain - I have tons of washing to do!
Sandra said…
Always something, right?
Enjoy your weekend!
RB said…
How are your animals all getting injured? We have many, and rarely have injuries.

Praying for them though. It's not fun being hurt.

God bless.

RB
<><
RB, Sparta was found hanging from the chicken wire in the coop one day. He got his talon caught and broke at least one let. We splinted it and he's healing nicely. Timmy, the barn cat, is not neutered, and gets into many fights. He's getting neutered to avoid it now. He's another cat that showed up here, or was dumped here. He just gets himself into a lot of trouble.
RB said…
Thanks for the info Kristina. Stuff sometimes just happens, doesn't it.

It's been a long time since one of ours had an injury, but now I better go knock on wood, because you know how that works.

God bless.

RB
<><

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart