Skip to main content

"A Roll of the Dice"


I finally got my sugar snap peas planted.   The strawberries are weeded too.

Like a man said to me yesterday at the store, "It's like a roll of the dice," referring to planting in our state.  You just never know what the weather will bring.


My plans today have changed.  The weather report did not say we'd get rain, and we are.  Potatoes should have been in the ground a few weeks about.  So....today I will not be weeding my asparagus, nor planting potatoes.  Instead, I'm in the kitchen preparing a recipe to share soon.  And making another batch of condensed cream of celery soup that will be used for tonight's dinner (sharing that recipe soon too).

It feels good to get back outside, and get my hands in the dirt.  With the brutal winter, I will be trying much harder not to complain this summer.



Comments

Liz said…
I have got a few perennials planted but its still to chilly for anything else. I don't even have the garden tilled yet! I tell myself I will not complain about hot weather this summer! lol..
Sandra said…
We planted some peas and lettuce. It is suppose to warm up a little, so I hope it works out.
Crazy weather this year!
RB said…
I spent the weekend getting all of my many large plants back outdoors under the trees in the garden, and feel like we can breath again in this little old house without them.

I also got all my ceramic birdhouses back out in the garden too. I have to bring them in when it's going to freeze, because wet ceramic can crack when it freezes.

God bless.

RB
<><

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart