Skip to main content

Homemade Angel Food Cake

It felt good to have time to de-stress yesterday.  Even the animals looked so relaxed.  Here is Jasper, sleeping in my kitchen window, hanging his head over the computer printer.


It rained almost all day yesterday, so I took advantage of the time indoors, along with the abundance of eggs our chickens are producing.  I'll be honest, I'm not sure I can really call it an "abundance." I think it's because Son and Daughter are not here to help eat them.  And I cannot cook small meals.  I'm used to cooking "big" that we often have more leftovers now.




I used up 14 eggs for egg burritos and used another 10 eggs to make an angel food cake.  We love to eat this as a snack simply as it is - plain, no frosting.  The kids can pack it in their school lunch too.

Today looks like a good day to plant the last of my potatoes.  We are out of extra fencing pieces, so I may just put in a stray t-post and run string for my beans this year.  I'm still holding off on planting flowers.  I did re-plant my foxglove that died off over winter, but that's it so far.

Note: I had to go back to using word verification on my blogs.  Sorry folks, but I got hit with advertising and had to go through changing passwords and such.

Comments

Liz said…
Well that is certainly worth using all of those eggs! I still haven't got my potatoes planted! UGH!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart