Skip to main content

Gettin' Dirty ~ Hubby's Birthday


Sunday was a race against the weather.  Sporadic rain was expected, so we worked fast.  The garden looks small in the photo, but in the way, way back you can see Hubby is tilling up more space for more garden.  It's big.  We will be putting up another fence for the pinto beans and cucumbers this year.  Hubby's co-worker tried a fence for his cucumbers, and said it saves a ton of garden space to plant more of other garden goodies.



~unloaded wood, stacked wood
~tilled all of the garden
~ replanted 7 strawberry plants we had left in the garden, and moved them to raised beds
-planted 362 yellow onions in the strawberry beds (onions fight against diseases and bugs for the strawberries)
~planted 86 red onions
-planted about 6 lbs. of red potatoes  (store was out of starter potatoes, had to get more the other day and wait for eyes on them yet)
~fixed rain barrel
~picked up another truckload of wood and unloaded


Once we have all our potatoes planted, we have estimated a yield of 5 pounds per plant, making our possible total 415 pounds of homegrown potatoes. 

I had planned to keep track of all our expenses, and compare it to our harvest, but forgot.  I do however, remember the cost of the red onions - $.83 total.

That's about a penny per onion.  You can't beat that, along with no pesticides or chemicals.

. . .next, I was back inside to start cleaning for a "send off" party for my 20 year-old daughter who is soon "shipping out" for basic training for the National Guard.  I didn't get much done, but got rugs washed and porch chair cushions washed.  Thankfully, my 17 year-old daughter did some much needed cleaning in the kitchen for me.  My youngest actually helped in the garden.  I should have taken a photo, ha ha!

Today is Hubby's birthday.  He loves peanut butter and chocolate, so I'm baking him a homemade peanut butter cake with homemade peanut butter icing.  He requested taco night for his dinner.  

Here's where my posts may become less and less...gotta get off here and tend to the animals and water the garden.  No rain now for two days.  Two rain barrels are empty, but I have two, which are on the front of the house that are full.  I am thankful for that.

Ah.....gardening....the thing that keeps me in shape......


Comments

Sandra said…
That's a lot of potatoes!!
Good luck with your garden plots this year. We are expanding ours.
The pinto beans sound interesting, never thought to grow those!

Kim said…
I grow all my cucumbers up as well, it really does save a lot of space.
EMMA said…
Yes gardening is great exercise isn't it! thanks for sharing the onions in the strawberry patch tip - will try that. And the cucumbers on the fence trick!
Happy Birthday to your husband - have a great evening - cake sounds delicious.
Willow said…
You are energetic ~ that's a lot of spuds ! lol
Happy Birthday to your husband .

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart