Skip to main content

Mud Brings Joy

May is the month that Hubby and I both celebrate our birthdays - "the Good."  I have no idea what I will do for Hubby yet.  

It's the month I get to start planting flowers and the vegetable garden. Although I can start planting peas (which are already late), I cannot plant my flowers until after Mother's Day.  Even so, I may wait just a bit later.  Last year we got a second frost, and lost much from garden(s).


May is the last month of school (typically), and it's jam-packed with school stuff - "the Bad."  The girls are overloaded with homework, they are worn out and tired from the entire year and just want it over with, and they are grouchy and mouthy.

Did I mention grouchy?  

This is where I remember the joys of homeschooling.  I didn't have this behavior.  They were happy.  The stresses of public school can turn my kids into little evil joy suckers.  When they come home from school they look like they want to stab something.  There is definitely something wrong with our public school these days, if my kids turn into hateful, defiant robots.  And I am sure they hate feeling that way.

I am looking forward to June, when school is finally out.


Thank goodness the kids have a go kart.  With the recent rain, we have mud and water.  See all the splatters of mud on them?  That's my youngest daughter taking my oldest daughter's boyfriend for a spin.  She likes to torture people on her rides (ha ha!).  They relieve their "stresses" with a day of mud splatters and fast rides.  

In fact, my oldest daughter's friend came out to join the fun one day, and she told her that she forgot what "having fun was like."  

So go have some fun today!  Mud included.

Comments

Kim said…
Looks like fun to me. I think the homeschooled kids are the lucky ones.
Unknown said…
Splashing mud all of people does release stress, wanna go for a ride?

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart