Skip to main content

Steel Cut Oat Patties


When I my oldest daughter asked me for the recipe to make my steel cut oat patties, I had to think about when I last made them.  I also had to remember where my recipe was.

Then, certain that I had posted it on my blog, I spent the day searching for it.  

Nope.  I did not blog about it.



So, today you are graced with yet another steel cut out recipe.  To make these, you will need to prepare the oats one day prior to frying them into patties.




Heat your skillet between low and medium heat. If you are using a cast iron pan, you should not have to heat your pan higher than medium.

Add about 2 Tbsp. of olive oil to your skillet. Let the oil heat thoroughly.

When the oil in your pan is heated, measure 1 cup of dry, room temperature steel cut oats. Pour them into the warm oil and toast the oats. This should only take a few minutes. They will become golden in color.

After the oats are toasted thoroughly, add 2 cups of water and 2 cups of chicken broth (I use homemade or organic, non-gmo). Stir and bring to a boil. Once it boils, move onto the next step. Note:  I doubled the recipe (for my family size) and used a 12 inch cast iron pan.

Stir and reduce heat to lowest setting such as simmer. Cover with a lid and let oats continue to cook for 1 hour. Do not stir during this 1 hour of cooking time.

After 1 hour, remove lid. If there is still liquid, cook a bit longer. Otherwise, turn off the heat, and let mixture sit on the same burner until cooled completely.

After your oats have cooled completely, scoop them into a container and seal with an airtight lid. Place in the refrigerator overnight.



To cook the oats the next day, scoop a small portion (about 2 Tbsp.) into a skillet heated with a bit of non-gmo canola oil.  Keep your patties about the size of 2 - inches in diameter for easy turning, and cook the patties on a medium to lower heat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Let cook until the first side has a golden toasted bottom, then turn once to cook the other side. This may take longer than your traditional potato patties, so be prepared to have ample time. Cooked patties may be stored in the refrigerator and reheated easily.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Baking in Mason Jar Lids?
Sharing a link to making pies in your abundance of lids:  Mennonite Girls Can Cook.  I love this idea! 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Comments

Carolyn said…
Well, this is a relief. I mean, the steel cut oat PATTIES. At first glance, I thought it said "panties".
Whew!
:)
Carolyn, you made me bust out laughing! Ha ha ha!
RB said…
Reminds me of hoe cakes which the poor in the US South once cooked on hoes or shovels they'd heated in an open fire.
Also in ancient times in Scotland shepherds and warriors often carried cast iron griddles tied in their clothing that they'd put over open fires to cook what was called "oat cakes" on them when out in the fields and woods, and I suppose their wives made them in their homes too cause they were frugal yet filling fare.

God bless.

RB
<><
RB said…
"panties" - hee hee
RB said…
One of our sisters responded with this when I shared your recipe with her.

"Reminded me that I used to make an oatmeal pie. It looked like pecan pie. I called for crumbled sausage on top and the kids would eat it in the morning with syrup. Haven't made that is quite awhile!"

Sounds like an interesting "stick to your ribs" meal.

God bless.

RB
<><
darlenelovesart said…
That was funnie, panties, funnie
This looks like a great recipe to use oat meal with. I shall have to try it.
Thanks Kristie.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart