Skip to main content

Oodles of "Noodles" and Dandelion Flower Tea



I'm learning a lot this summer.  Did you know that my homestead is growing oodles of noodles?

"Honey?  Did you know that dandelion stems can be cooked as "noodles" in a recipe?" I asked with excitement.

"Honey, I love you," replied Hubby grinning from ear to ear, and shaking his head side to side.  

I know what he was really thinking - that woman is crazy!

I had no idea you could eat the stems.




Today, I'm making Hubby and I Dandelion Flower Tea.  I've made dandelion tea before, but this time it will be with the entire dandelion top.  I am using a recipe in my new Dandelion cookbook.  Refreshing and healthy.

Reading over my companion growing list, I learned that elderberry leaves can be added to my compost to speed up the compost - another new thing I've learned.  There's a lot you can do with elderberry leaves, including making sprays for certain bugs.  I guess planting my elderberry bushes were more beneficial than I thought.  I'm definitely going to research this some more.

I'm happy to say we are making more progress on the garden.  We are finally down to the last few beds that need tilled and planted.  Although late, they are still getting done.   When you have a big family, you need a big garden.

We recycled the old goat fencing and used it to make our cucumber fence pinto bean fence.  I'm excited to see how many beans we'll get this year.  

We are also planting popcorn for the first time.  It's an experimental newbie in the garden this year.  I believe my Grandmother on my Mom's side of the family used to grow it, so I hope to have good results to share. 

As for a family update, we continue to get letters from son.  They are sounding more up beat and more positive thankfully.  He is past the most difficult part of training I think, and down to the last 3, in which they send home a packet for graduation.  We have yet to get a letter from Daughter.  I think I have written more letters by hand in one month recently, than in all of the last 5-6 years.  We are definitely keeping the postal system in business.  

Have a safe and fun filled weekend.

Comments

Unknown said…
How's the wacko neighbor thing doing?
Nancy,
Unfortunately they are out there bulldozing and reving motors as I sit here, and have ever since we returned home today. We can only hope that he's in the floodplain today, because he taking out a lot of trees. The violation guy is coming out tomorrow. The Sheriff tells us they can't help other than if we are lucky - getting him charged with disorderly conduct (for now anyway). We are still waiting for the survey (ugh, feels like forever).
Unknown said…
Well hang in there, too bad he's taking out trees :(
RB said…
Our mother loved to make dandelion greens with bacon & garlic, wilted down like spinach or greens.

I tried it once and couldn't understand how she could tolerate the bitter taste of it, but I'm all for anyone who can, cause dark leafy greens are very healthy.

God bless.

RB
<><
Liz said…
When my daughter was I basic training it seemed like forever before we heard from her the first time. Gosh I should have had that dandelion cookbook. We had a huge crop this year. But the bees loved them!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart