Skip to main content

The Front Porch ~ Our Simple Pleasure

Last night was quiet around here.  We thanked God for that.  Things are in action, and people are working on our situation as well as us.  The Deputy Sheriff called us last night while we were at a school choir concert, and of course I went into panic mode, thinking something happened at the homestead.  However, it was good news.  He caught located the 4-wheeler guy who ran off and charged him with a few violations.


With the quiet night we enjoyed a few moments on the porch.  It was so peaceful, despite traffic.  I regained my inner peace with my lavender eye pack, a cup of ice water and my cozy rocker on the porch.

In fact, we were all on the porch last night, soaking in the comfort of the porch.


The post lady delivered timely as well.  The Dandelion cookbook is full of recipes, and many that we plan to try, even though we recently mowed here.  I should still get enough dandelions to try a few recipes.  I have to give my older brother credit for sparking our interest in more dandelion recipes. 


Slowly, I am regaining the porch beauty with flowers.  This is always the fun part.




It's not very often I treat myself to a magazine from the store.  This time I did. These are in a drawer waiting for the next porch visit.

I brought home a current copy of Herb Quarterly


...a copy of Chickens


...and a new magazine I have never read before.  This one is full of good recipes.  This publishing company prints many magazines - one on aprons, one on green crafts, and many more.  I may have to splurge for a copy of their green craft magazine.  They are not cheap either.

Today, I have much work to do in the garden.  Yesterday, an appointment, and choir concert discombobulated me once again.  But that's okay too.

....oh, I am so needing a camping trip or island trip now.



Update on our fermenting of the cabbage - don't use table salt.  I will be doing this again, but with kosher salt.

Comments

Unknown said…
Glad things are quieting down! Those guys don't sound too smart, getting in trouble so fast. Maybe they'll move on and bug someone else, and get their legs broken...
Liz said…
Glad you had a nice peaceful night enjoying your front porch! Looks like some good reads. Have a nice Memorial Day Weekend!
RB said…
I am glad you are again finding it a blessing to sit on your front porch. I wish we had one, but we do have huge trees in the backyard that are nice and cool to sit beneath, especially when there's a nice breeze which there is today.

Have a great holiday weekend, and a safe one too.

God bless.

RB
<><
EMMA said…
Glad to hear you've got people on your side!!
Those magazines look super interesting.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart