Skip to main content

Dandelion Poultice ~ Homesteading Tidbits


We are blessed with an abundance of dandelions this spring.  As I was looking out at the grass that needs mowed, I got a text from my older brother.


So you know how nutty I am with making things with dandelions, right?  We've made jelly, a gravy, and dried dandelion root to make "coffee" with it.

I have a ton of dandelions, but don't really need jelly right now.  We still have some from last year.  I think one of these years, we may try making dandelion wine.



But for now, I am picking and drying some dandelion leaves.  My oldest brother sent me a text that you can treat poison ivy rash with a dandelion poultice.

Oh, he also gave me a new dandelion recipe (uses dandelion buds) too.  I just may have to make it this week.

Back to my thoughts on dandelions....fresh is best for a poultice, but dried works too.  Right now we have a ton out there, so I decided it was best to get some leaves dried in case we need any for the poultice this summer and fall.  A few of us get it badly when we get poison ivy too. 

I'm still researching recipes for this particular poultice, but if you have any thoughts or suggestions to share, please do so in a comment.  For example, one recipe indicates using fresh dandelion leaves, aloe and honey - all natural ingredients.




While I was picking dandelion leaves for drying I picked some for a fresh salad too.  

I did spend Mother's Day in the garden, as Hubby had to work all weekend.  I got my cauliflower, broccoli, and some more potatoes planted.  Oh, and I got my new elderberry trees in the ground as well.  We really didn't have any "Mother's Day" plans, and I do love to work in my garden.  My oldest daughter made homemade, chocolate chip waffles for breakfast.  Yum!

I also got my first batch of homemade ricotta cheese made.  Daughter had enough goat's milk for me.  

Speaking of "daughter" we drove our oldest to her military office today.  She is on her way to South Carolina for her National Guard basic training.  I guess I'll be writing a lot more letters. 

Sunday morning, I watched a fox walk into the barn where the meat chickens are.  It was not able to get any chickens, but I am concerned if he/she continues to hang around. 

Comments

Willow said…
Good for you many people don't know how beificial and versatile dandelions actually are !

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart