Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Steel Cut Oat Bread ~ Honey and a Dab of Ginger



Yesterday I made 2 loaves of homemade Steel Cut Oat Bread.  This was a first time recipe for me.  I have never used steel cut oats in a homemade bread before.

This is another "from pile to file" recipe....

It's a denser bread, and wonderful for toast.  It will make it to school better than softer breads too.

I have not been baking my bread from scratch here, and after I reading up on GMO's in our so-called food, I read the label on our the bread I had bought.  Yuck. 

Organic bread is about $4/loaf here, so I purchased new yeast, and restocked my flour.  I of course, typically keep honey on hand.  

We live in a world of convenience.  Buying bread is easier.  However, the ingredients are scary.  I'll admit, I was a "buyer" recently.  I am now starting to get back to baking our bread at home.  It's not that time consuming to make it either.  You can let it rise while you work on other things (or rest or play).  I find kneading the bread is very therapeutic and relaxing.

 

Steel Cut Oat Bread
2 cups steel cut oats (we use a non-gmo brand)
1/4 cup raw honey
2 Tbsp. Organic butter
1 Tbsp. Salt
2 cups Boiling water

Mix the above ingredients in a large mixing bowl, by pouring the boiling water over the other ingredients.  Allow the mixture to cool.  

Next:

1/2 cup warm water
1 tsp. raw honey
1 Tbsp. dry active yeast
1/4 tsp. ground ginger

When the oat mixture is about cooled, prepare 1/2 cup water (110°F) with  1 tsp. honey, 1 Tbsp. dry active yeast, and 1/4 tsp. ground ginger.  Allow to dissolve.

5-6 cups flour
 
When the yeast is ready, add 1 cup of the flour, and yeast mixture to the cooled oat mixture.  Gradually add up to a total of 5-6 cups of flour.  I used my bread attachment on my mixer to mix my dough.

I used 5 cups of flour for my bread.  Place dough on floured pastry cloth (or board) and let rest for about 10 minutes.

Knead the dough.  Shape into a round ball and place in an oiled bowl.  Cover with a damp cloth, in a warm area, and allow to rise (1-2 hours).

Punch the dough down, and split into two even amounts.  Shape into loaves and place in buttered loaf pans. This is a great way to recycle those organic butter wrappers (if you buy your butter). 

Let the dough rise again for 1 hour in the buttered pans.

Bake at 400°F (preheated) for 30-40 minutes.  My bread baked in about 35 minutes, so keep an eye on it.  

Cool the bread completely, on cooling racks, before slicing. 

Enjoy!




9 comments:

Liz said...

Sounds like an interesting recipe. I like steel cut oats, will have to give it a try!

Sam I Am...... said...

I know GMO is really scary and especially when they don't label.
It looks like great bread and I'm going to try it. I always make my own bread but I use the no-knead recipes as I'm not sure my RA hands will appreciate it...we'll see.

Unknown said...

I make a s.c. oats biscuit/cookie with cocoa and they're so good!

Michelle said...

We have been making our own homemade bread for years. I love trying new recipes. This looks like a good one to try.

Lisa said...

Is it sweet tasting? I love ginger. Will make some this weekend. Thanks!
Lisa

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Lisa, I can't say that it is a sweet tasting bread, but it is good. I had my 19 yo daughter home last night with two friends, and they were fighting over the last of the bread. Ha ha!

Beansieleigh said...

Looks delicious! I'll be giving this recipe a try sometime soon. I love homemade breads with my coffee in the mornings! Thanks for sharing the recipe! ~tina

StephanieBee said...

It worked! I have never had good luck making bread but it worked! This bread is delicious and worth the time and effort. Follow the directions exactly. Don't substitute or play around with it. OMG! I have cancer and no sugar, no gmo's no processed foods, so this is how I'm eating now. Thank you so much for posting your bread recipe. I actually feel healthier after having a little slice of bread. Amazing! Thank you!!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

StephanieBee, you are welcome. Thanks for visiting my blog too.