Skip to main content

Steel Cut Oat Bread ~ Honey and a Dab of Ginger



Yesterday I made 2 loaves of homemade Steel Cut Oat Bread.  This was a first time recipe for me.  I have never used steel cut oats in a homemade bread before.

This is another "from pile to file" recipe....

It's a denser bread, and wonderful for toast.  It will make it to school better than softer breads too.

I have not been baking my bread from scratch here, and after I reading up on GMO's in our so-called food, I read the label on our the bread I had bought.  Yuck. 

Organic bread is about $4/loaf here, so I purchased new yeast, and restocked my flour.  I of course, typically keep honey on hand.  

We live in a world of convenience.  Buying bread is easier.  However, the ingredients are scary.  I'll admit, I was a "buyer" recently.  I am now starting to get back to baking our bread at home.  It's not that time consuming to make it either.  You can let it rise while you work on other things (or rest or play).  I find kneading the bread is very therapeutic and relaxing.

 

Steel Cut Oat Bread
2 cups steel cut oats (we use a non-gmo brand)
1/4 cup raw honey
2 Tbsp. Organic butter
1 Tbsp. Salt
2 cups Boiling water

Mix the above ingredients in a large mixing bowl, by pouring the boiling water over the other ingredients.  Allow the mixture to cool.  

Next:

1/2 cup warm water
1 tsp. raw honey
1 Tbsp. dry active yeast
1/4 tsp. ground ginger

When the oat mixture is about cooled, prepare 1/2 cup water (110°F) with  1 tsp. honey, 1 Tbsp. dry active yeast, and 1/4 tsp. ground ginger.  Allow to dissolve.

5-6 cups flour
 
When the yeast is ready, add 1 cup of the flour, and yeast mixture to the cooled oat mixture.  Gradually add up to a total of 5-6 cups of flour.  I used my bread attachment on my mixer to mix my dough.

I used 5 cups of flour for my bread.  Place dough on floured pastry cloth (or board) and let rest for about 10 minutes.

Knead the dough.  Shape into a round ball and place in an oiled bowl.  Cover with a damp cloth, in a warm area, and allow to rise (1-2 hours).

Punch the dough down, and split into two even amounts.  Shape into loaves and place in buttered loaf pans. This is a great way to recycle those organic butter wrappers (if you buy your butter). 

Let the dough rise again for 1 hour in the buttered pans.

Bake at 400°F (preheated) for 30-40 minutes.  My bread baked in about 35 minutes, so keep an eye on it.  

Cool the bread completely, on cooling racks, before slicing. 

Enjoy!




Comments

Liz said…
Sounds like an interesting recipe. I like steel cut oats, will have to give it a try!
Sam I Am...... said…
I know GMO is really scary and especially when they don't label.
It looks like great bread and I'm going to try it. I always make my own bread but I use the no-knead recipes as I'm not sure my RA hands will appreciate it...we'll see.
Unknown said…
I make a s.c. oats biscuit/cookie with cocoa and they're so good!
Michelle said…
We have been making our own homemade bread for years. I love trying new recipes. This looks like a good one to try.
Lisa said…
Is it sweet tasting? I love ginger. Will make some this weekend. Thanks!
Lisa
Lisa, I can't say that it is a sweet tasting bread, but it is good. I had my 19 yo daughter home last night with two friends, and they were fighting over the last of the bread. Ha ha!
Beansieleigh said…
Looks delicious! I'll be giving this recipe a try sometime soon. I love homemade breads with my coffee in the mornings! Thanks for sharing the recipe! ~tina
StephanieBee said…
It worked! I have never had good luck making bread but it worked! This bread is delicious and worth the time and effort. Follow the directions exactly. Don't substitute or play around with it. OMG! I have cancer and no sugar, no gmo's no processed foods, so this is how I'm eating now. Thank you so much for posting your bread recipe. I actually feel healthier after having a little slice of bread. Amazing! Thank you!!
StephanieBee, you are welcome. Thanks for visiting my blog too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart