Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, April 20, 2023

Barley Sprouts and Barley Grass ~ New to the Coop Fun for the Chickens




 I have been spoiling my chickens with lentil sprouts and they love them.  They are not only inexpensive to grow, but grow in about 4 days.  They are very easy to get out of the quart canning jar.



I have started to grow them barley sprouts.  They take longer, but I used the same method.   They are also harder to get out of the canning jar, so if you use this method, I suggest a wide mouth jar.  They all stick together vs. lentil sprouts, when grown in a quart canning jar.

I also grew barley grass for them, using my microgreen tray.  I'll admit, it was just as fun for me to grow, as it was for the chickens.

I used this barley, and soaked about a 3/4 cup of barley overnight.  The next morning, I spread the soaked seeds out onto my 9 x 13 microgreen tray.  I rinsed them every day, and made sure they had ventilation.




No comments: