Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, April 29, 2023

Breakfast Grits ~ Strawberry Crunch and a lot dirty dishes day

 

(recipe is from The Southern Lady Cooks, online)

I made us a sausage/tomato/chili and cheese grits breakfast casserole, to use up some tomatoes from the freezer.  It was the first time to try this recipe, and it was delicious.  So delicious my husband kept coming back in the kitchen to get another bite, and another, and another....so good.  I made farm fresh scrambled eggs to pair with it.  I will be taking some to youngest, as it made a lot.

Where do you all buy your grits?  I'm having a terrible time finding organic/non-gmo grits.  I need to day to search online I guess.  Any tips on where to buy them would be great.  It's been a while since I bought any, so if I find some, I will stock a bit in the freezer.  




In celebration of the crazy work schedule ending, I baked a strawberry crunch for my husband to take to work, for their celebratory dinner at work.  I love having those frozen strawberries on hand, and they smell as fresh as they did when I froze them.


After all the dishes were washed (hubby did the washing), dried, and put away, I did a lot of re-filling of stuff.  It was like everything was out all at once.



I buy a lot of organic ingredients in bulk, so the black pepper was re-filled, cinnamon, homemade vanilla, and the sugar canister needed refilled (I do not bulk buy sugar).

Speaking of homemade vanilla.  I keep this in a box in my closet, and when I went to retrieve the vanilla, I saw a tincture I started in 2021 and completely forgot about it.

The tincture has sage still in the vodka.  Is this still good to strain, or should I toss it?  I guess that year it was super crazy, so I completely forgot about it.

Most of the rainy day was involved with baking, but my wonderful husband went upstairs and helped me move the things, so I could paint more flooring.  





 


No comments: