Skip to main content

Gardens are Ready ~ Crochet Pattern ~ A Mix of Granny Ripple and Double Crochet/Single Ripple with Straight Edge Start

The compost has all been tilled into the gardens, and they are ready for planting next month.   We still need to build the new raised beds, but we are ahead of schedule thankfully.   We are still working on purchasing an electric solar fence.

The recent weather was perfect to catch up on laundry and dry it on the clothesline.  It's been a long week, and we got some rain too.

By the way, those Einkorn waffles I posted about the other day?  Well, they taste great re-heated.  They are not a crunchy waffle, and are soft, but so good!

A few of you mentioned you were interested in the pattern for the most recent, and newest, afghan I am crocheting.  I have to admit, this pattern is getting rave reviews, and a lot of inquiries. 



I had spent time searching for a new pattern to use up yarn colors I had in my stash, and this is the one I came up with.  As I said previously, the woman who wrote the pattern mentions to change your yarn color differently.   You basically can do what you want, and I love that she includes a graph at the end of the pattern, so you can customize your afghan by the size you want to make the afghan, and with what size yarn you are using.

I first found this pattern at:  The 6-Day Kid Blanket
At the very bottom of this pattern, the author and creator, shares the graph I was explaining about.  It is very helpful in deciding size of blanket and what yarn/hook you want to use.

I did more digging and found her pattern for:  How to start your 6-day kid blanket with a Straight Edge

I used the instructions for starting with a straight edge (this pattern is the second link I shared).  I have never crocheted a ripple pattern with a straight edge start, and I really like it so far.  I don't think I have ever crocheted a granny stitch ripple either, and I love this combination and look.  I will be playing around with the blanket and yarn sizes this year.


I've gotten a bit more done on it, as of today.

In appearance, the afghan with the blue and green in it, is an inch shorter in width than my last blanket, but I will end it with a edging.  The first  pattern link will also have information on edging designs for the blanket.

I plan on making some lap afghans and a few baby blankets down the road, using this pattern.  It would be great for a scrap lap afghan too.


Comments

Debi said…
I love the colors you chose for this blanket. Beautiful!
Thank you Debi, I am glad to use up some yarn stash, and I am enjoying the look of this pattern so far. I would love to see how pinks and whites would like with this pattern. I may try that with the smaller afghan.
Carol said…
This is a beautiful blanket. I would love to crochet again, but I just haven't found the right way to learn it again.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart