Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, April 24, 2023

Happy Homemaker Monday


 I've mentioned that we make Four Thieves Vinegar for the year, and especially for winter months, and now I am making a Four Thieves Spray to clean the house with.

You can get the instructions with Mountain Rose Herbs online (there is a video).

It's been rough lately, when it comes to daily chores.  In the process of going through every single box/tote/bag for the closet, there are daily chores to do first.  It's been a bit overwhelming, but I know it will all be worth the work.



I decided to mix up some herbal tea mix for my version of "calm the fluff" down tea.  There are so many recipes for this online.  I used what I had on hand.

Asparagus is up a few weeks early and we are expected to have a frost tonight.

If you were asking about the recent afghan pattern, for the granny/double crochet ripple with a straight edge, I posted it yesterday:  HERE

Question:

Forget The Pharmacy - Grow Your Own Medicine: The Homesteader's Ultimate Self-Sufficient Guide to Grow Herbs, Craft Natural Remedies, and Treat Common ... Proactively (The Homesteader Herbs Series)


Do any of you have this book?  I tried to get it from the library, and they do not have it.  I'm wondering if it is worth the purchase?





Today I am joining Sandra at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom.
I will link up after she posts this morning.   Grab some cuppa, as it's sort of a long post today ha ha!

The weather. . .

49°/30° today, heading up to the 60's later this week, but lots of rain.


As I look outside my window . . .

Calm, a bit sunny.


Right now I am . . .

Brewing coffee late.


Thinking and pondering .  . .

Wondering if there is a difference in using licorice root for tea making or licorice root slices?  Does anyone know?  I tried googling it and it just kept giving me uses etc.


So, I came across this in a tote from the closet.  I am told that my Grandmother on my Dad's side made one for me and my siblings.  I am also told Mom stored them in her cedar chest and we were never allowed to play with them.  So, now I'm a grown older adult, and have no idea what to do with it.  The leg is also falling apart.

Our historical museum is closed due to water damage last winter, and we have no idea when they will open (if they even re-open).  Also, the head on this doll is barely holding on.  What would you do?   Storing it seems impractical.  My kids would not want it either.


On my bedside table. . .

Water, two crochet hooks, clock, remote, and heater remote.


On my TV this week . . .

I'll be honest, I'm not finding anything interesting on Netflix.  I may look at our movie stash this week.


Listening to . . .

Rock, 70's.  A girl's gotta have something to motivate this extreme clean, take back the house, get it organized stuff.


On my lunch  plate . . .

I boiled eggs, so eggs or egg salad.  Or sliced egg on a cracker with a spread.

On my dinner plate . . .

Not sure yet.


On the menu this week . . .

-Leftover sheet pan dinner (chicken sausage/carrots/potatoes), leftover asparagus and broccoli

-Chicken Spaghetti, garden green beans

-not sure on the rest just yet

Breakfast(s):

-Sweet potato hash with eggs
-Scrambled pesto eggs, bacon
-Chili Cheddar Egg Bake, sausage


On my reading pile . . .


I'm still reading Atomic Habits.  I am really enjoying this book, but not much time to read lately.


On the to-do list . . .

-dishes
-laundry
-dust
-clean roosts
-sweep/mop
-work more on the big purge


Plans for the week . . .

1. Start painting odor sealant on upstairs wood flooring

2. Get garden fencing up, or at least get it purchased

3. Gather all the donation items and deliver them (two places)

4. Gather all the trash (from the big purge) and get it out of the house (trash bin outside is FULL!)



What I am creating . . .

This is the afghan I mentioned at the top of this post.  I'm still working on it.

Also, a new tincture was made, and I will post tomorrow.


My simple pleasure . . .

Yogurt/peanut butter dip and apple slices.  I prefer organic greek plain yogurt mixed with just some organic peanut butter.  You can add honey for added flavor, but the peanut butter is enough for me.  


Looking around the house . . .

I have a lot to go through, before I move any craft supplies to the upstairs.  


From the Camera. . .


I inherited a knit pattern from one of my Grandmothers.  I found it in the box of beads.  However, she did not write down the size of knitting needle.  I have tucked this away for now.  It appears she used worsted weight yarn for it though.  Anyway, getting tucked away until I have more free time.  My focus is to get this house back in order.


Bible Verse, Devotional, Quote. . .

Prayers for Daughter E.  Her cat Tiger is in Kitty Heaven now.  He was 14 years old.  I will miss that turd.  He was a wonderful cat with a very lovely personality. 


9 comments:

Joanna Unbehaun said...

I love the colors on that afghan! Have a beautiful week!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Joanna, thank you!

Debi said...

So sorry about your daughter's cat. He had a nice, long life. I don't know what I would do with the doll and sweater set. I saved things for my daughter but she had two boys. I have one granddaughter but her mom isn't into having stuff like that. Soooo... I finally donated it all to the thrift store. Hope you have a good week... I know you will have a productive one!

Debi said...

So sorry about your daughter's cat. He had a nice, long life. I don't know what I would do with the doll and sweater set. I saved things for my daughter but she had two boys. I have one granddaughter but her mom isn't into having stuff like that. Soooo... I finally donated it all to the thrift store. Hope you have a good week... I know you will have a productive one!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Debi, thanks. I am so confused with the doll. The clothing is missing, and the color of the booties is the color of the doll one of my sisters got, and the sweater set doesn't fit the doll either. I just can't save it all, and my kids have zero interest is storing stuff they can't use.

Jean said...

Peanut butter and apples sound good. So sorry to hear about your daughter's cat. Hope you have a wonderful rest of your week.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Jean, my one daughter told me she mixes yogurt with peanut butter for the apple dip and it so good. Thanks, we will miss Tiger dearly.

Luludou said...

aww too bad the museum is closed for the doll. Maybe you can put it to giveaway on an antic site?
Looks like you are as busy as ever.
So sorry for your daughter's cat.

Have a good week

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Luludou, we will miss Tiger. He was a good cat and very loving.