Skip to main content

Storm Update ~ Chicken Treats

Thankfully, our home was not in the path of any storm destruction, tornadoes etc.  We got some rain and wind, and that was it. We are once again saturated.




I purchased these to hang treats for the chickens.  I tried it out with a head of organic lettuce.  Our grocery store has a $.99 veggie/fruit clearance area, so I'm taking advantage of that until garden season is in full swing (if we still do a garden).

They were first looking at it, like what in the heck is that?  They ate it all in one day.  I bought the gadgets online with Amazon, and it came with two.  I can slice up fruits and veggies and slide them onto the reusable metal stake and hang them around the coop run.  It not only keeps them healthy, but provides more nutrition for them, not to mention some fun in the process.  I used to just tie a string to a head of cabbage, but I do like this gadget.



Comments

Melly said…
I'm growing cabbage this year just for the girls. Could you tell me the name of this gadget? I'd love to order one--thanks!
--Melanie
Melly, it's called Chicken Vegetable hanging feeder toy. I found it on Amazon and the package had two in it.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart