Skip to main content

First Day in the Garden ~ My To-Do List Got more To-do-ey ~ Solar Electric Fence Suggestions?

 I was up and outside early to beat the 86°F heat yesterday.  I first got the chicken coop mucked, and washed the watering unit.  Why oh why do the chickens seem to dirty it up in one day?  

Anyway, I spent the rest of the morning out in the gardens, pulling plastic, stakes, and anything I missed last fall.  I have more to do, and I need to move all the grow bags out before the rain arrives.  We are hiring a person to come till both gardens, so we need the pea fence and the bean fence pulled.   He is a friend, and doesn't charge a lot, and can get it all done nicely and quickly for us. We keep up after that with the smaller tiller. 

Oh, and for 14 some years we've been growing gardens here, we've not had too much to deal with, in the way of critters.  We did very well actually.

The last two years have been a headache.  Not sure if it's due to not having dogs here or what, but the rabbits and squirrels have been the biggest nuisance.  We are installing an electric solar fence this year.  

We have never done this, and if you have, and have suggestions for the solar part, I would to hear them.

My green onion is going ba-zonkers, and I am so happy.  Last year it had a rough time.  I wasn't sure I'd get much this year. 

Also, some of my rhubarb survived.  What's the best way to dig and move it, without killing it, and would it do well in a grow bag?  We are going to dig out the bed it's in.


Comments

Leigh said…
Isn't it wonderful to get out in the garden again? Except you had a pretty hot day to do so!

I can't help with the rhubarb, but I can offer some experience with solar electric fencing. We've tried both the fence energizers: the type with the built-in panel and battery, and the type that's connected to a 12-volt battery. Both have pros and cons.

The built-in solar energizers we tried had too small of panels and batteries to be of much use except on a full-sun day. When the charge gets weak, the animals don't respect it. This type also seems to have a shorter lifespan and died after only a couple of years.

The energizer that we later got, I really like. It's a Speedrite J model. It can be charged with mains electricity or a 12-volt lead-acid rechargeable battery. It has four choices for pulse speeds (besides off): fast, slow, fast day & slow night, or slow day & fast night. It also has a built-in battery tester to let you know the status of the charge.

The thing to be aware of with the battery, is that it requires more hands-on monitoring. The higher the amp-hours of the battery (AH), the longer it lasts, but you still have to keep track of the state of charge. Then, it must be disconnected to be recharged. We have a separate solar recharging station set up for that, plus a second battery to use when the one is recharging. The batteries are heavy too, so toting them around is another kind of a chore.

I don't know if that's the kind of information you're looking for, but I hope it helps!

Leigh, it has been so refreshing to be back outside again. However, it has been unseasonably hot for this time of year for us. Thank you for the info. Any info is new info, and it helps alot. I can't believe we've had a garden this long and not done this.
Debi said…
I envy you being able to putter in your garden. Even though we have had three days in the 80s+ that doesn't mean that we won't have a freeze (or two or three or ten!) in the next month. We usually don't plant in ground until Memorial Day. I've had no experience with electric fencing. Hope you have a great weekend!
Debi, I am just weeding it, pulling fences and getting it ready for compost and tilling. I am not planting anything, as it is too early. We do not spray or use any chemicals on the garden, so weeds need tended to a lot out there.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart