Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, June 10, 2024

Happy Homemaker Monday

 

I had a few extra minutes in the kitchen, as my husband was called into work on Sunday, and our outdoor work took a back seat.  I made them in between flash freezing the last of the strawberries.

I made these healthier version of a peanut butter "cup" from a recipe online (no bake peanut butter oat cups by Hungry Happens).  You keep them in the freezer, but they do not freeze solid.  They are good, but I'm not sure I'd make them again.  I used a non-gmo dark chocolate for the top.



Today I am joining Sandra at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom.

This will be my last link up/join with this.  The new link asks me to sign into facebook or something to link my own post.  Enjoy it as the last post in this manner.



The weather . . .
Strangely cool, and no sun this morning.  Temperatures range from 67° to 93°F this week.  The low tonight could be as low as 49°F and that is very cold for June (and not good for the garden).

Right now I am . . .

Sipping coffee and writing this blog post.


Thinking and pondering . . . 

I'm thinking, that having a phone book again would be useful.  Our internet has had way too many outages, and one day I could not get a phone number pulled up on my cell phone.  Not even with 5G (cell service outage?).  Way too many outages in our area lately.  We used to get a free phone book delivered, but have not gotten one in years.  We don't have a land line, so that may be the reason.

We are trying to connect with local farmer's market gardener's to see about buying their garlic for this year. I know it won't come in until later, but we are working on it.

I did however, ask one produce stand if they grew their own garlic, as I have purchased it from there years ago (which rotted very quickly).  I never asked, as I assumed (never do that) they grew everything.  They do not.  Always ask at the produce stands.  Many ship items in from other states, and the items are not fresh.


How I am feeling . . .

On days I am working outside for hours on the garden, I have zero energy to do intentional exercise. Does that happen to anyone else?  Or is that just me?  Is it even necessary, after all that labor?

My foot is still healing.  Some days it bothers me and other days it's fine.


On the breakfast plate . . .

Sweet potato/sausage and egg scramble.


On the lunch plate . . .

Chicken salad with boiled egg over swedish bread crisp. Blueberries.


On the dinner plate . . .

Not sure just yet, but it could be Southwest Quesadillas.


On the menu . . .

-sheet pan cod with vegetables

-grilled jalapeno popper smash burgers, grilled brussel sprouts

-leftovers


On the reading pile . . .

I have not had a lot of free time to read lately.  I finally finished book #3 in this series.  I have found that our library interloan system has the remainder of the books to the series, so when I get more books read off my own shelf, I can go back and finish the series via the library.



. . .picked this up for free at the library, so I'm currently reading this book.  I feel like one of my bloggers has met this author. It's not my typical fiction book, but so far, I am enjoying it.

I'm also reading online reviews for food processors and madolins.  I need both replaced soon.  Especially my very old mandolin.


On my TV this week . . .
Whatever looks good on netflix.

Looking around the house . . .
It's a hot mess.  It's garden season, along with strawberries and peaches to put up.  It'll take some work to get things in order for sure.


To-do list . . .
-sweep and mop floors
-dust
-water porch pots and house plants
-go through yarn for a daughter
-get the house back in order


From the camera . . .

I finished this lap afghan.   I'm suprised I did too.  Some days I am so tired after garden work, that I don't want to do anything.


Devotional, Prayers, Bible Verse. . .


Happy Homemaker Monday  © June 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

9 comments:

Sandra said...

That is such strange weather for this time of year, although I will say, I'm a little jealous of the cooler weather, we hit triple digits this weekend.

I also agree on the outside work, when I do that, I don't do my other workouts because I've already exercised outside. No need to do extra in my opinion. hahah

Have a blessed week Katrina,
Sandra

Betsy said...

I enjoyed this chatty email this morning. We had a very cool night last night and this morning but it's supposed to be low 90's by midweek so I believe summer is here to stay.
I hope you have a blessed and productive Monday!
Blessings,
Betsy

Mother Em said...

Looks like I'll be having to put up some peaches in the very near future. I have very little freezer space, but what do you do with yours if you freeze? Also, I no longer have a canner, so jams without processing? Hope you have some ideas or neighbors will be enjoying some as well! (Oh, husband never-ever uses poisons any of our veggies/fruit. They make it or not in our yard.)

Have a great week ahead Katrina. Mary in GA

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Betsy

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mother Em, when I freeze them, I freeze enough in zip bags for a pie, I freeze them for baking crumbles and other fruit desserts, top them on waffles or pancakes, and I can jam. I have never canned peach pie filling, but that is an idea too, but requires canning. I also use frozen peaches for yogurt fruit dishes and smoothies. Hope that helps.

Luludou said...

I have a landlined and we have not received the free phone books for years. I don't think they are making them anymore.
One day... we'll have a great power outage.... cars won't work (electric cars are being sold more and more), no internet, no way to pay bills (here it is almost all on the internet as they closed most banks), no way to remember people's phone numbers.. and cell phones which won't be recharged... yep...

On that lovely note, have a great week ;)

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

I thought a produce stand would be selling their own grown stuff and find it misleading that they don't unless they a signs saying were the produce is from

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Luludou, I was just talking about all of this with a friend. One of my bills comes paperless (email notification). I did not change that, and the company did. If I don't get a paper bill, and the interent is having outages, we don't get them. Also, one other is starting to bill $1.99 for any paper statement. It's so out of control anymore.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Jo-Anne's Ramblings, you are right. Another produce stand we go to for peaches, has signs telling where the other produce comes from. I am told there is a Farmer's Market that has a person who grows there own garlic, so this year I will look for it late summer.