Skip to main content

Battling the Weather

 

The flower beds may be looking 100% better this year, but the planting of the vegetables and fruits in the garden has been the worst battle this year.  The tomatoes are in, as well as most of the hot peppers, but the tomatoes look absolutely terrible.

We've already eliminated a few foods from the garden this season.  Time, space, and weather hasn't been nice this year.

We are just now having the recent flood (literally flooded a portion of our garden) dry up, only to see more rain is coming tomorrow.

The problem?  Today it is to be over 90 degrees, and full sun.  Planting time, in such heat, is very limited. 

On a postive note, the rain brought us the biggest oregano harvest ever. 

Battling the Weather © June 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Sandi said…
I did not know rain effects oregano!
Sandi, it's causing ours to spread rapidly, and already producing flowers.
Well reading this I learnt something about oregano that I didn't know and trust me there is a lot I do not know
Betsy said…
We've had so much rain this year too. The farmers are struggling to get the crops in. It seems to be feast or famine when it comes to rain.
Blessings,
Betsy
Too much or not enough...both rain problems. ugg 90 degrees, hope we don't see that warmth until August:)
Far Side of Fifty, we have had a very hot May this year, combined with way too much rain at once.

Popular posts from this blog

Question

  I have asked this before, but I know I follow a few writers who have written (and published) novels.  What is the best free or best least expensive (simple like Word) writing software to use that is not Google Docs? Thanks! I'll be back with an update soon I hope.  But I do appreciate your help, because I cannot find the information some of you suggested.

Horsetail Salve ~ A "first" this Year

We purchased some horsetail salve to try last year.  It is said to help with severely dry, cracked skin.  My husband was the first to try it, with very, very dry and cracked hands from work. He loves it!  He joked I could not have it back.   I started the infused, horsetail oil the last part of March. Something I learned:   horsetail is also called shavegrass. I infused horsetail in oil, and strained it.  I then made horsetail salve.  I remembered to label my jar with what oil(s) I used, so I can journal this all in my "Herbal Remedies" journal.  I often forget to write the oil used. Now, the one we bought, has more in it than I put in ours, as far as ingredients (the purchased salve had lanolin, and aloe).  We'll see if ours works just as good.  I added the sage essential oil, and vitamin E oil. A "first" time experience for us this year.    I bought the larger tins at a seed store in an Amish area last year.  They a...

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart