Skip to main content

Battling the Weather

 

The flower beds may be looking 100% better this year, but the planting of the vegetables and fruits in the garden has been the worst battle this year.  The tomatoes are in, as well as most of the hot peppers, but the tomatoes look absolutely terrible.

We've already eliminated a few foods from the garden this season.  Time, space, and weather hasn't been nice this year.

We are just now having the recent flood (literally flooded a portion of our garden) dry up, only to see more rain is coming tomorrow.

The problem?  Today it is to be over 90 degrees, and full sun.  Planting time, in such heat, is very limited. 

On a postive note, the rain brought us the biggest oregano harvest ever. 

Battling the Weather © June 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Sandi said…
I did not know rain effects oregano!
Sandi, it's causing ours to spread rapidly, and already producing flowers.
Well reading this I learnt something about oregano that I didn't know and trust me there is a lot I do not know
Betsy said…
We've had so much rain this year too. The farmers are struggling to get the crops in. It seems to be feast or famine when it comes to rain.
Blessings,
Betsy
Too much or not enough...both rain problems. ugg 90 degrees, hope we don't see that warmth until August:)
Far Side of Fifty, we have had a very hot May this year, combined with way too much rain at once.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart