Skip to main content

In a World of Expensive Free is Good!

 

The laundry has dried so much faster with the heat wave.  I love our solar dryer.  Free!  Smells great!  I get exercise.


Wild black raspberries are on now.  I'm picking daily, and will use them for simply eating or making fruit smoothies for a cold lunch.  The best part?  It's free!  I forage for them, and some plants have been planted closer to the house by birds.  If there is an abundance, I will freeze some, but the lack of rain and heat wave may say otherwise.


I received some free merlot heirloom lettuce seeds, so we are trying something new with this heat index skyrocketing - planting lettuce indoors.  I'll let you know how it turns out, or if it does well.   I decided to plant two kinds of lettuce, and a tray of microgreens.  If it all does well for our meals, I'll start more later this week.



The mulberries are also on the trees, but they are not all ripe yet.  I did get a mix of berries a few days ago though.  I see there are white mulberries almost ready to pick too.


In a World of Expensive Free is Good!© June 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart



Comments

Betsy said…
Free is always good isn't it? I used to love mulberries when we lived here when I was a child. I don't see many bushes of them anymore though. Enjoy the ones you find.
Blessings,
Betsy
I rarely use the clothes dryer, at the moment I have the washing hanging on the clothes hoists, which are fold up dryer racks and as it is cold and have the heater going I have it facing the clothes so it can help them dry why warming the room.

I have never seen or heard of black raspberries didn't know they were a thing
Jackie said…
Free is always good.

God bless.
These days, FREE is my favorite 4-letter word!
Leigh said…
Foraging lovely free food is a fantastic feeling! Your berries look delicious.

I'll be very interested in your indoor lettuce experiment. Next week' expected heat wave will be a good test of the new shade cloth on our greenhouse. But it's got me wondering if I can possibly grow something in it during summer after all. Something to hope for.
Betsy, we are thankful we have them growing all over here, and the birds continue to plant new ones. Some years however, the raccoons get them all.
Jo-Anne's Ramblings, we too have the folding drying racks. We also have a small indoor clothesline for lighter weight items. I use them all year round.
Leigh, I would like a green house for the fact I can contain the plants from rodents, like greens. We are still thinking about it. We are hoping the lettuce will grow indoors. I have them on my stand I use to start seeds, so I have grow lights as well. Not sure I want to run the lights in this heat wave, so it's all an experiment for sure.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart