Skip to main content

It's Hot!





We've entered a heat wave, and yesterday we had a heat index of 102°F.  No one is enjoying the outdoors right now.  The chickens are being treated with frozen treats, ice water, and I have even frozen water in a tin.  I am also freezing water in bottles that I put inside their watering unit to keep their water nice and cold.   I have more treats in the freezer for today, but the forecast is saying the heat wave will last the entire week.  It is unusual for us to have such hot weather this early in the summer.


Our red raspberries are slim pickings.  I have to water the plants this week, as the rain we were to get, never arrived.  Watering the entire garden and flower beds is a full time job this week.


That's a bell pepper dipped in a new hummus recipe I made.  It's a red lentil hummus, and my gosh is it creamy and good.  I used 1/2 cup tahini (recipe said 1/4th), and used 3 cloves of garlic (recipe said 2).  It is higher in protein and less fat, and does not contain olive oil.

I have made red lentil hummus before, but used a different recipe.  There are many online, but if you want to try this one, it's called "Easy Lentil Hummus" by "It doesn't taste like chicken" online.


It''s Hot! © June 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

I bet those hot temperatures are hard on those chickens. Good idea about the ice.
I like red lentils. The hummus sounds good.
Rebecca Knox said…
The rains have stopped and the heat has arrived here, too, but not quite that hot. That's miserable! I enjoy seeing your chickens. I miss mine. This heat is always so hard on them. I remember making up an electrolyte-balancing mix to add to their water many years ago and, yes, frozen water bottles and frozen treats. I don't know if my garden is going to make this year or not. Because of the rains I got it in late and, now, with the heat, we'll see. The hummus recipe looks good. I'll go check it out. Have a great rest of the week and stay cool! Blessings!
I don't know which is harder to deal with the heat or the cold both kinda suck
Betsy said…
We have severe storms predicted AGAIN for tonight. It has been several nights a week here this summer. Very unusual. And it's hot and humid too. Our heat index was 98 yesterday so I understand completely.
I hope things cool down a bit soon and the storms let up.
Blessings,
Betsy
Jo-Annie's Ramblings, we haven't had a break from the heat since last Sunday. Yes, both are difficult weather situations.

Betsy, we cooled to a 98°F day, but the humidity is awful now. No rain either, so there has been no relief other than the temperature dropping from 102 to 98 now.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart