Skip to main content

Yogurt to Cheese

 

Did you know that if you add a bit of salt to yogurt (I used organic greek plain yogurt for this), and drain the whey out with cheese cloth (over night or for 2 days), it turns into a creamy cheese?  Sort of a bad photo, but that is what is left in the cheesecloth after it has drained out the whey.

I discovered this with a new recipe to try, that is in a library book I borrowed.  Delicous and easy.  I can then add whatever seasonings or ingredients for each recipe that uses it.

I can't believe, in all my cheese making years, I did not know this.

Enjoy!  We are busy, busy, busy this time of year.

Yogurt to Cheese © June 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Betsy said…
My Grandma used to make her own cottage cheese. I have no idea how although I remember her making it once while I was visiting. It was SO good. Much better than store bought.
Blessings,
Betsy
All I know about yogurt is that some I like and some I don't and didn't know about the cheese but I have never made cheese
Betsy, I have never made cottage cheese, but when we had dairy goats here, I made white cheese, ricotta and cream cheese, and they were so much better than store bought too.
Jo-Anne's Ramblings, I used to make my own plain yogurt using my dehydrator. I may start doing that again, but this way of making a creamy cheese was so easy and delicous.
Is it like a ricotta? Looks good.
Debby, it has a cream cheese texture, but a creamy taste.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart