Skip to main content

Identified! It's Wineberry ~ Garden Tidbits

 

I posted this photo a few days ago, and asked if anyone knew what it was.  Well, with the help of my sister-in-law, and an app on her cell phone, it's been identified as Wineberry.

In the early spring, I thought it was my red raspberry bush spreading into my asparagus patch.  I never got the chance to dig the sprouts out due to fracturing my foot.

I did some research on this plant, and of course the birds planted it (they seem to be good at this).  However, it's an invasive plant, because it grows quickly and can over take the area.  Lovely.  It's actually illegal in some states to sell etc.

I'm not sure I'll be able to dig them out until spring, as my asparagus has gone to seed and is very tall.  I'm going to do my best to remove it this year though.

Apparantly, those spiky looking pods open up, and produce an edible raspberry.  Other than that pod, the plant itself, literally appears the same as our red raspberry plants. Oh, and the stems are more of a brighter red too.  Unless I am in correct, but it looks exactly like wineberry.


The first zucchini is on, but I'm not sure it will form correctly.  I have not seen that many bees yet.


Another delicous way to use your garden green beans and sweet potatoes.  I baked this all as a sheet pan dinner, using store bought sweet pototoes, but used frozen garden green beans.  I forgot to add red onion, but the seasoning is paprika, cumin, herb garden oregano, homemade garlic powder, and salt/pepper.  I used olive oil and added chicken sausages.

It was the first time to put the green beans on the pan frozen, and it did take longer to cook than I thought. Next time, I will pre-cook the green beans, before adding them to the sheet pan dinner.  It was very good!

Identified! It's Wineberry ~ Garden Tidbits  © June 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Betsy said…
It's too bad that the plant is actually an invasive species. It is rather pretty and so unusual.
Your sheet pan veggies look delicious. I still do somewhat the same thing, but not as often as I did when I had my own garden.
I hope your day is a lovely one and not as hot.
Blessings,
Betsy
Not something I have heard of but there are more tings in this world I have not heard of then I have heard of
Jo-Anne's Ramblings, it is new to me too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart