Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, June 23, 2023

Bell Pepper Eggs in a Nest

 


No part of the bell pepper was wasted either.  The parts that I could not make a ring out of, were sliced for snacking, and the seeds went to the chickens.



Why have I not made eggs in a nest this way until now??   By the way, one was not enough, ha ha!  I made each of us two.

I love cooking recipes with bell peppers.  These are delicious!  I cannot wait for the fresh garden goodies to make these all summer.  

I will have to tweak the chicken "sausage" patties however.  I just picked a random recipe online.  It was on the dry side, with little to no flavor.  I prefer the turkey ones over these.

Do you have a good chicken breakfast sausage recipe?  I feel you almost have to add a bit of pork sausage to it.  When I make turkey patties, they are more flavorful.  I may go check my recipe and see if the ingredients to flavor them are different. I know I put sage in these, but like I said, just no flavor.  Healthier, but the recipe needs something changed.

We like to stuff and freeze bell peppers during garden harvest.  I freeze a lot of bell peppers diced and sliced for recipes as well.  We love baked bell pepper rings.  They are so good too.  We also love "philly" stuffed bell peppers.  We eat a lot of bell peppers with many meals - chicken fajitas, stir-fry, Italian sausage sandwiches, breakfast frittatas and omelets....so many ways to use them.

What is your favorite way to enjoy bell peppers?  

I will be planting a better variety next year.  What is your favorite variety to plant?

4 comments:

Katie C. said...

We don’t have a good record with growing bell peppers. Jalapeños, yes. Bell, no except for one huge one right now. I think my favorite stuffed pepper is something called Santa Fe stuffed peppers from the Skinny Taste blog. It uses black beans and ground turkey. Since I’m back on WW, again, this works well for me.


I use my jalapeños peppers to can Ball’s Zesty salsa and at the request of my sister, jalapeño jelly. I clean, slice and freeze strips to use throughout my the year and I’m almost out!


I forgot. We grow a lot of banana peppers which I also freeze in strips. When I get a recipe calling for bell pepper, I just use these instead.


-Katie C.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Katie, I do grow a lot of hot peppers here too, but I don't want to can hot pepper jelly this year. We don't eat enough of it. One year I grew mad hatter peppers and used those for bell, but they did have some heat in them.

Debi said...

We like peppers on pizza and in tacos,burritos and quesadillas. I also put them in anything Italian (spaghetti, lasagna etc) and scrambled eggs. And raw in tossed salad, of course!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Debi, it's definitely salad time of the year here. I like salads when the weather is took hot to cook outside. We too love bell peppers on pizza. I may just have to make one soon.