Skip to main content

Bell Pepper Eggs in a Nest

 


No part of the bell pepper was wasted either.  The parts that I could not make a ring out of, were sliced for snacking, and the seeds went to the chickens.



Why have I not made eggs in a nest this way until now??   By the way, one was not enough, ha ha!  I made each of us two.

I love cooking recipes with bell peppers.  These are delicious!  I cannot wait for the fresh garden goodies to make these all summer.  

I will have to tweak the chicken "sausage" patties however.  I just picked a random recipe online.  It was on the dry side, with little to no flavor.  I prefer the turkey ones over these.

Do you have a good chicken breakfast sausage recipe?  I feel you almost have to add a bit of pork sausage to it.  When I make turkey patties, they are more flavorful.  I may go check my recipe and see if the ingredients to flavor them are different. I know I put sage in these, but like I said, just no flavor.  Healthier, but the recipe needs something changed.

We like to stuff and freeze bell peppers during garden harvest.  I freeze a lot of bell peppers diced and sliced for recipes as well.  We love baked bell pepper rings.  They are so good too.  We also love "philly" stuffed bell peppers.  We eat a lot of bell peppers with many meals - chicken fajitas, stir-fry, Italian sausage sandwiches, breakfast frittatas and omelets....so many ways to use them.

What is your favorite way to enjoy bell peppers?  

I will be planting a better variety next year.  What is your favorite variety to plant?

Comments

Katie C. said…
We don’t have a good record with growing bell peppers. Jalapeños, yes. Bell, no except for one huge one right now. I think my favorite stuffed pepper is something called Santa Fe stuffed peppers from the Skinny Taste blog. It uses black beans and ground turkey. Since I’m back on WW, again, this works well for me.


I use my jalapeños peppers to can Ball’s Zesty salsa and at the request of my sister, jalapeño jelly. I clean, slice and freeze strips to use throughout my the year and I’m almost out!


I forgot. We grow a lot of banana peppers which I also freeze in strips. When I get a recipe calling for bell pepper, I just use these instead.


-Katie C.
Katie, I do grow a lot of hot peppers here too, but I don't want to can hot pepper jelly this year. We don't eat enough of it. One year I grew mad hatter peppers and used those for bell, but they did have some heat in them.
Debi said…
We like peppers on pizza and in tacos,burritos and quesadillas. I also put them in anything Italian (spaghetti, lasagna etc) and scrambled eggs. And raw in tossed salad, of course!
Debi, it's definitely salad time of the year here. I like salads when the weather is took hot to cook outside. We too love bell peppers on pizza. I may just have to make one soon.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart