Skip to main content

Bad Air Quality Warnings ~ More Strawberries ~ Cottage cheese and Chilis for Breakfast? Yes Please!

 I lost count on how many days it's been with zero rain.  Watering everything continues for us.  We've been waking up in the 50's, so it makes my daily chores more difficult.  I have to wait for it to be warmer to do the watering.  The forecast is saying possible rain this coming Sunday, with warmer temperatures.

I also have to rotate watering with laundry/dishwasher, so the water pump is not working in over drive.



It's hard to be outside too long with the Canadian wildfire haze contaminating the air outside.  We sat out on the porch the other night, and totally forgot about the air issue, and a nasty sore throat woke me up in the night.





I am finishing up with strawberries.  The chickens love their cool, sweet treats (they get the tops).




Froze several quarts, and will make a cold strawberry pie as well.  Canned 8 - half pints of reduced sugar jam.


There is a cottage cheese craze going on in recipes lately, but for years, we've enjoyed cottage cheese in our breakfast.  It's a Rachel Ray recipe (adapted with organic ingredients), and one we really like.  I used to double this when the kids were all living here.  Recipe is HERE.  It does require a 1/4 cup of flour, and I may try swapping that out with Einkorn next time.  

Comments

Carol said…
Oh I need to get some strawberries and make jam or jelly. We are in desperate need of rain as well. The sky is a bit hazy here and it does seem that the air quality alerts are awful here as well.
Carol, it's just crazy. I want to enjoy my porch, but it makes my throat hurt.
Debi said…
We've had some hazy, smokey days but not too bad. But one of our grandsons lives about 20 minutes from us and they have had some really tough days. Our grandson and his step brother both suffer from mild allergies but they have really ramped up with the heavy smoke. I hope you get some relief soon. My cousin makes a breakfast casserole with cottage cheese that is absolutely delicious! Enjoy your weekend!
Jackie said…
For awhile we got the smoke from Alberta here in southern Saskatchewan. We usually get the smoke from California, Montana and Wyoming. It does make doing anything outside miserable.

God bless.
Debi, yes, the smoke haze is making my allergies miserable. If you ever get your cousin's recipe, please share. I think cottage cheese with eggs taste pretty good.
Jackie, I was saying the same thing about the fires out west. In all my years on this Earth, I cannot remember this ever happening in our state (the smoke haze moving in).

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart