Skip to main content

Welcome March ~ This and That

 Not much to talk about with winter lingering.  Other than the weather, which is back and forth and all over the map lately.  We may actually leave the cold weather this week, and venture into the lower 70's.  However, the spring rains and thunderstorms come with it.  We have had a lot of foggy days lately too.

I have been doing the boring refreshing spring cleaning.  We took a large load to donate (mostly clothing).  We are not even close to being done, but chipping away at getting it done before garden planting season.

In the mix of this cleaning/purging and re-organizing, I now have two photo type projects to complete (but frees up space it was taking, and will put it all to a good use).


On the zero purchasing this year list:

-books (unless it's non-fiction, and absolutely needed), concentration will be on reading what we have (both of us).  I love, love love browsing used book sales, and stores, but no more this year until we have read through our current book stash.

-yarn (this last large load of gifted yarn was overwhelming, and is taking up a LOT of space)


Kitchen work never seems to end, nor give me a break.  Cooking from scratch can do that.  I once told a friend, that I don't even know how people can keep their houses clean, if they work full time too.  I don't regret it, but there are some days where washing all those dishes can really get to me.

It seems that all homemade dry mixes run out at the same time here.  It's been a month of refilling them, like homemade dry taco mix, fajita mix and the like. 

Speaking of "kitchen" chores, we were out running errands and I picked up a free brochure.  It contained a free recipe for soup that we tried, as we had one last butternut squash to cook up.



The soup is very simple, yet delicious.  Great way to use up that small "junk" jar of leftover pastas, or what some people call their "orphan" past a jar (a mix of bits of leftover uncooked pasta from other cooking days).   The only problem was, our freezer was out of spicy Italian sausage, and we could not find it at two stores we went to.  Either way, we used a "hot" sausage and it turned out good. We will keep the recipe, as it's very simple and can be adjusted to a crockpot recipe very easily.



We have gotten some appointments off the calendar and have already set more for later in the year.  The book in the above photo is a "tea" brewing/informational book.  I love to learn new things, but so far there is a lot of information I already know.  I do plan to finish the book to see if there are any "nuggets" to learn.

One fun "bit" so far, is that the teabag itself was invented by accident.  A man sent "samples" of tea in silk bags and the teabag convenience was born.  


I finished another baby blanket, which used up two more skeins of the Aran colorway yarn, and some leftover pink that was also in the mix of gifted yarn.  Basic blanket, but yarn put to good use (donations for a pregnancy center).

We are very behind in spring garden preparation.  Many of the home repairs we started to collect supplies for, have been delayed.  The word "delayed" is such an annoying word (more like frustrating, ha ha!).

I have also "delayed" a writing project, that has a deadline this month.  I really had the ambition, but trying to keep all my "ducks" in a row this spring has been a huge challenge.

Wise words from my current devotional . . .

"Find time to rest and set yourself apart from the busy, busy, busy of this world."  (Just Breathe, Devotions and Prayers for the Overwhelmed Heart, Barbour Publishing, 2024).

Welcome March ~ This and That   ©  March 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Faith said…
The gift of spring is showing ever so slowly, it is lovely the evolving of spring. It is a welcome gift. Blessings to you!
Jeanna said…
Your weather sounds much like ours. Although, we haven't gotten the forecasted rain. I've enjoyed these last couple of days with temps in the 70s. It is amazing how much space books and yarn take up. I'm still working on a large granny square afghan to use up leftover yarn. The soup sounds delicious. You can't go wrong with anything that includes butternut squash.
Betsy said…
That's a very pretty baby blanket and will be very appreciated by the recipient. We've had the up and down weather too and tonight is predicted to have thunderstorms, some possible severe. The joys of spring.
My sister has a shirt that says she can't seem to get her ducks in a row and it has a bunch of ducks falling all over each other. Ha!
I had a great fajita seasoning recipe that I seem to have lost. Would you be willing to share yours? I love making my own. So much more economical. I was sure it was written down but I can't find it in my notebook anywhere. Oops! I hear the first peal of thunder.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
Faith, yes, it is slowly making it's way into Spring. It is welcoming too. Getting outside more often is so good for the mind, body and soul.
Jeanna, the weather is crazy up and down here. Yes, I too, have a granny square blanket going on (my crochet book blanket, join as you go), as well as the donation items. I think the change in weather to a warmer more sunny outdoors, is the reason I am reading less right now. The soup was very good.
Betsy, I will surely get the fajita mix recipe up for you. It may already be on my blog. I'll take a look. Blessings to you too.
I am working on reading what I already have also!
Far Side of Fifty, it's hard to not walk into a book store (used or new) when we are out and about anymore (ha ha!)

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart