Skip to main content

Migraine Relief Possibilities

Resurrecting a blog draft from May 1, 2019.  I don't know how I let so many drafts get buried, but it come in handy for entertainment this winter.

Here is the draft posted, but with an update.

Migraines are not fun.  I've had about two in my lifetime, and they were terribly painful and nauseating.  Youngest Daughter seems to get them too often, so I'm trying to make sure she is hydrated, exercising etc.

I did much research for topical treatments.  One we are trying is organic peppermint oil mixed with a carrier oil, rubbed on her temples.  I also put it on her chest for her to inhale.

Topical treatment is all I'm researching, because if you've had a migraine, you are so nauseated you cannot drink teas etc.  


I read that a lack of magnesium can also bring on a migraine, so we keep almonds and pumpkin seeds on hand to enjoy weekly. 

I have known that peppermint, holy basil (Tulsi), and chamomile teas help reduce inflammation of  a headache, but I am just now learning that ginger, clove, and feverfew may work as well.  Feverfew is on my list to grow this year, as it did not work out last summer. * see note below

The change in weather can also play a part in migraines, sinus pressure etc.  I've noticed this myself.

I've also read that topically applying fresh pumpkin pulp cools the head and relieves the headache.  

The most recommended that I've read about, is feverfew for a migraine, but I have yet to try that with Youngest.  I tried growing it one year and savage raccoons raided my potted plants.  I never tried growing it again.  Maybe this year?

Have you had any good results with a homemade remedy for migraines, or even headaches?

Notes from 2024:
I grew feverfew again successfully one year, dehydrated it for tea.  It has been said that it relieves not only a fever but a migraine.  It worked too.  I am now learning it can relieve joint pain (maybe a salve?).

What are you growing for medicinal reasons this coming spring?

Comments

Jackie See said…
Thank you for the information, so many suffer from headaches and migraines are the worse. I developed them when I began menopause. I would end up in the local small town emergency room getting a shot at 2 am. One terrible migraine hit me and I was in the patient room waiting for the doctor. I couldn't have the light on, my eyes were starting to swell and sounds were irritating. This new doctor appparently had eaten a very spicey lunch and he let out gas (farted, windied, pooed, etc). It was awful. My husband went into the hallway and gagged, the nurse left to find something and me and the doctor were the only ones left in the room. We made plans for my shot to be administered. He opened the door and left. I sat up and my headache was GONE!!! I am not kidding, it was GONE! I then said no to the shot and went home and slept great. Thehubs bought me some stink bombs (sulfur) and when I would get a migraine I would go in our garage bathroom (tiny space) and break one or two capsules and breathe in that awful smell. It always worked for me. ~jackiesee~
Leigh said…
Drafts do tend to pile up! I'm glad you resurrected this one.

I've read good things about feverfew, so I need to try to grow it this year. The tidbit about using it for joint pain is useful as Dan has aching knees so often. I read somewhere that feverfew helps repel tomato horn worms. So I think I definitely need to try to grow this!
Jackie See that is very interesting. I got my migraines from lack of sleep. My Mom was having surgery one time, and we had to leave the hospital very late and arrive very early the next day. I got a terrible migraine that night, and like you, the lights had to be off, curtains pulled, no noise, and a huge ice pack on my forehead and neck.
Leigh, had my one daughter not had so many migraines, I don't think I would have looked into all of this. Growing feverfew was worth it. That is good to know it repels hornworms on tomatoes too. I did not know this.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart