Skip to main content

Migraine Relief Possibilities

Resurrecting a blog draft from May 1, 2019.  I don't know how I let so many drafts get buried, but it come in handy for entertainment this winter.

Here is the draft posted, but with an update.

Migraines are not fun.  I've had about two in my lifetime, and they were terribly painful and nauseating.  Youngest Daughter seems to get them too often, so I'm trying to make sure she is hydrated, exercising etc.

I did much research for topical treatments.  One we are trying is organic peppermint oil mixed with a carrier oil, rubbed on her temples.  I also put it on her chest for her to inhale.

Topical treatment is all I'm researching, because if you've had a migraine, you are so nauseated you cannot drink teas etc.  


I read that a lack of magnesium can also bring on a migraine, so we keep almonds and pumpkin seeds on hand to enjoy weekly. 

I have known that peppermint, holy basil (Tulsi), and chamomile teas help reduce inflammation of  a headache, but I am just now learning that ginger, clove, and feverfew may work as well.  Feverfew is on my list to grow this year, as it did not work out last summer. * see note below

The change in weather can also play a part in migraines, sinus pressure etc.  I've noticed this myself.

I've also read that topically applying fresh pumpkin pulp cools the head and relieves the headache.  

The most recommended that I've read about, is feverfew for a migraine, but I have yet to try that with Youngest.  I tried growing it one year and savage raccoons raided my potted plants.  I never tried growing it again.  Maybe this year?

Have you had any good results with a homemade remedy for migraines, or even headaches?

Notes from 2024:
I grew feverfew again successfully one year, dehydrated it for tea.  It has been said that it relieves not only a fever but a migraine.  It worked too.  I am now learning it can relieve joint pain (maybe a salve?).

What are you growing for medicinal reasons this coming spring?

Comments

Jackie See said…
Thank you for the information, so many suffer from headaches and migraines are the worse. I developed them when I began menopause. I would end up in the local small town emergency room getting a shot at 2 am. One terrible migraine hit me and I was in the patient room waiting for the doctor. I couldn't have the light on, my eyes were starting to swell and sounds were irritating. This new doctor appparently had eaten a very spicey lunch and he let out gas (farted, windied, pooed, etc). It was awful. My husband went into the hallway and gagged, the nurse left to find something and me and the doctor were the only ones left in the room. We made plans for my shot to be administered. He opened the door and left. I sat up and my headache was GONE!!! I am not kidding, it was GONE! I then said no to the shot and went home and slept great. Thehubs bought me some stink bombs (sulfur) and when I would get a migraine I would go in our garage bathroom (tiny space) and break one or two capsules and breathe in that awful smell. It always worked for me. ~jackiesee~
Leigh said…
Drafts do tend to pile up! I'm glad you resurrected this one.

I've read good things about feverfew, so I need to try to grow it this year. The tidbit about using it for joint pain is useful as Dan has aching knees so often. I read somewhere that feverfew helps repel tomato horn worms. So I think I definitely need to try to grow this!
Jackie See that is very interesting. I got my migraines from lack of sleep. My Mom was having surgery one time, and we had to leave the hospital very late and arrive very early the next day. I got a terrible migraine that night, and like you, the lights had to be off, curtains pulled, no noise, and a huge ice pack on my forehead and neck.
Leigh, had my one daughter not had so many migraines, I don't think I would have looked into all of this. Growing feverfew was worth it. That is good to know it repels hornworms on tomatoes too. I did not know this.

Popular posts from this blog

Horsetail Salve ~ A "first" this Year

We purchased some horsetail salve to try last year.  It is said to help with severely dry, cracked skin.  My husband was the first to try it, with very, very dry and cracked hands from work. He loves it!  He joked I could not have it back.   I started the infused, horsetail oil the last part of March. Something I learned:   horsetail is also called shavegrass. I infused horsetail in oil, and strained it.  I then made horsetail salve.  I remembered to label my jar with what oil(s) I used, so I can journal this all in my "Herbal Remedies" journal.  I often forget to write the oil used. Now, the one we bought, has more in it than I put in ours, as far as ingredients (the purchased salve had lanolin, and aloe).  We'll see if ours works just as good.  I added the sage essential oil, and vitamin E oil. A "first" time experience for us this year.    I bought the larger tins at a seed store in an Amish area last year.  They a...

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

New Recipe Tried and other Bits

  I tried a new granola recipe and boy it's good.  First, it's a recipe from Mennonite Girls and Cook, and called "Backpack Snacks" online.  It calls for granola, so I used my homemade granola that we love.  Picture is the dry ingredients. Second, I pressed the final mixture into a 9 x 9, parchment lined baking dish instead of rolling it into balls.  The color of these photos are all different, because of the time of day, and how dark the house was from the thick Canadian smoke that was still outside at the time. These cut very nicely, and were very good, straight from the refrigerator.  It was hard to eat just one of them.  I will be making this again, and switching out the peanuts with walnuts, and switching out the raisins with dates.  Oh my!  The binder is honey and peanut butter. These are perfect for your hiking days, camping, your grandkids, or just for snacks when you want one. The rain arrived thank goodness, and washed the smoke in...