Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, February 19, 2024

Happy Homemaker Monday

Do any of you own one of those box style choppers, that also work as a mandolin?  I have a hand chopper and food processer, but I'm thinking the box chopper would be easier to use, and wash and store.  It could utilize it in the camper as well.

I'm just thinking ahead for garden season, when we bring in tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers and the like.  I need to replace my mandolin this year, so I'm curious about this type of chopper/mandolin.

I have been getting outside for fresh air as often as I can. I think this is mentally and physically important.  Whether it is to pick up trash thrown in the yard from people driving by, to muck the coop, pick up or clean up the porch/patio, or ...


...to simply put on a jacket and sip a hot beverage and sit and enjoy the sunshine.


Today I am joining Sandra at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom.


The weather . . .

We still have a bit of snow on the ground, but we are to get up into the 50's again this week.


Right now I am . . .

Drinking coffee, and writing this post.


Thinking and pondering . . .

What project to do next.  We need to paint the master bathroom, and we also need to install a window in another room, with drywall repair work and a new electrical outlet.  We may be hiring someone for the window/drywall job.  Depends on if we are close to a finish on the hallway before the end of the month.


How I am feeling . . .

Terrific.  I did buy an elbow brace for my aching elbow (from slipping on ice while stepping out of the truck).

We make ourselves goals, we give ourselves rewards, and my husband said he hasn't felt this good in maybe 30 years.  

Last weeks pamper me moment?  Painted my nails at the end of a very nasty weather day.  Dressed up and went out for breakfast one day.


On the breakfast plate . . .

A new recipe!!  Breakfast Lasagna!  It's a layer of scrambled eggs, a different type of sausage gravy, applegate low sodium/no sugar ham, and cheeses.  I'll post my review on this later this week (to keep this post short, ha ha!).


On the lunch plate . . .

Leftovers.


On the dinner plate . . .

Not sure just yet.  It could be leftovers again.


On the menu. . .

Breakfast:  Einkorn Pumpkin Pancakes, maybe bacon to go with them?  Blueberries.  

-Mexican Lasagna, Crockpot creamed Corn (using frozen off the cob corn)

-Meatball casserole (using homemade frozen meatballs, that are made with oats vs. bread crumbs, home canned sauce, and some cheeses, Green Beans (also from the garden freezer goodies)

-Spaghetti squash pesto chicken, veggie side (maybe roasted rutabaga)

-Leftovers


On my reading pile . . .

I needed a break from reading the Leslie Meier series.   I am about half way into this book, and I am very much enjoying it.

On my TV . . .

Anything that looks good.


Looking around the house . . .

I'll have an update on the hallway progress this week.  It's coming along nicely.

One box of donations was packed and delivered.  We donated to a Habitat Restore, as the items were used light fixtures, switch plates and the like.  

I have another box started for donations, but it's not full enough to deliver.


To-do list . . .

-clean the washing mashing filter


My washing machine filter is not exactly easy to clean.  This is what it looks like after I remove the full bottom panel under the front loading door (some of you have a cute little access door).  You can see the filter is behind wires, and is back inside, making it much more difficult to get a bucket under it to catch the water that comes out.  I will be looking to see where the filter is when we ever do need to buy a new washing machine.  Did you know that you should clean your washing machine filter 4 times a year?  I don't clean ours that often.  There is just the two of us, and no pets, so the filter stays pretty clean.

-laundry after the washer is put back together
-prepare a few days of breakfast
-dust
-sweep/mop floors
-sort more yarn totes
-prime side hallway entry door (the inside of it for now)
-pick up hallway floor trim

Deep clean for the week:
-finish cleaning the kitchen blinds/windows

From the camera . . .



What I am crocheting . . .

I posted an update on handiwork yesterday.  You can see the post HERE.  

I also started another lap afghan, but these will dwindle as the weather warms up.  I will switch to projects for me/us when the cold weather leaves.



On-the-go projects are baby wash clothes for gifting, an XL pot holder for our own kitchen (all these years I never made one for us), and eventually baby booties to gift.


Devotional, Prayers, Bible Verses. . .

Psalm 28:7

"The Lord is my strength and shield. I trust him with all my heart. He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy. I burst out in songs of thanksgiving."

Happy Homemaker Monday  © Feb 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

8 comments:

Luludou said...

That book looks interesting. Have been seeing those box style choppers and been wondering how they are liked by REAL people. Have a great week

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Luludou, I agree, I don't want to buy one if they are not really that useful, or worth the money spent. The book is very good.

Jodi said...

Going out for breakfast is always fun! And breakfast lasagna, yum! Have a great week!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Jodi, it was more like brunch by the time we left the house, and they were still super busy, but we enjoyed it. The breakfast lasagna was very good.

Anne in the kitchen said...

I do have one of those box choppers.I bought it because I teach a life skills class at a local day facility for adults with special needs. I needed something they could use without fear of cutting themselves. I will admit when I have a lot of dicing to do I use it too. It is a handy little gizmo.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Anne in the kitchen, thanks! I think it would make summer time garden season a lot easier. Like for chopping cucumbers, tomatoes, onions etc all for one salad.

Sandra said...

Breakfast lasagna? Oh my that sounds divine. I have those cutters for the veggies, but to be honest, I hardly if ever use mine, so can't really give an honest opinion whether you should get one or not.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sandra, breakfast was pretty good. I put a post up the next day about it. I still may buy a box chopper, so I can use it while camping too.