Skip to main content

Just the Bits


We hit a high of 53° yesterday, and the chickens were loving it, as well as the full day of sunshine.  

The paint brushes/rollers took a break for a few days. February is starting out with some hiccups.  

However, I have finished washing down the rest of the hallway walls (all but a small section).  I can now proceed to spackle any holes, allow them to dry.

 


Laundry got caught up.  I had some to fold and some to put away.  I also caught up on some paperwork.  Bathrooms are getting cleaned.


Healthy breakfasts were prepared.  We decided that the next time I make this sweet potato hash, we prefer two eggs per serving.


Meals got made and meal prep (lentils cooking for a dinner recipe).

I got another rug washed.  I love the ones we bought at the flea market in Amish country.  They are the "washable" ones, and more expensive, but boy do they wash up nicely.  I have had cheaper ones from the box stores, that did not hold up to washing them in the washing machine. 



I had time to look through a library book I've had for over a week now.  There is one interesting recipe in this book that would come in handy for someone who is sick (Chicken Noodle in a jar).  They say to use a "Gift Jar" but I'm guessing a quart jar with 4 cups of dry egg noodles.

The book also has gift jar recipe for dog and cat treats, and body scrubs.


I made homemade hair detangler (spray).  I will be back with a review after I use it for a while.  It was super easy to make.  I have never brewed marshmallow root, and when I squeezed the cheesecloth, when straining it, the tea has a conditioner type feel to it.  I put it in a spray bottle, and it will need to be stored in the refrigerator (has no preservatives in it).

Go figure, just when I start tackling blog drafts, the draft selection function is not working properly.  Now it brings up all your posts, and it when you select "drafts" it should only bring up your drafts. 

Just the Bits © Feb 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Jackie said…
Blogger seems to do what it wants. Glad that you took a bit of a rest from painting.

God bless.
Jackie, blogger seems to have a lot of issues lately. Yes, we are still on a break from painting. We need to pick a paint color for the walls soon.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart