Skip to main content

. . .from the handiwork journal

 


I had a bit of Red Heart's Bright Stripe leftover from a blanket I made for a daughter, so I wanted to use it up somehow.  I decided to incorporate it into another lap afghan, using up other scrap yarns in bright colors.  The blue is from the last lap afghan I made (using up almost all of that blue).



Here is an update on how it's going.  I'm not sure if the seniors will like the bright colors, so it may end up a gift to another person.  


Finished!

  It's probably the most "scrapy" of all my scrap lap afghans so far.

This is all that remains from that one skein of bright stripe yarn.  Saving that small scrap for the local art teacher (if they still use them).







I used about 3 balls of soft violet cotton yarn to make two night stand doilies for one of the kids.  I just used the traditional granny square, but with a solid look.  I had to use a slightly different shade (same name, but color lot was different) to finish the edge.  There is no more violet yarn in my stash now.  All for a good cause I guess.




The second doily for the living room.  Eye rolling, hands in the air moment for me.  I took a closer look, and I had made more than a few mistakes on this one.  It is bound to happen, when I leave a project like this sit for a year.  Unfinished.  I attempted to FROG it, and in the process, it became a knotted mess.  I just cut my losses and cut the thread and disposed of it.  Yes, yes I did.  Sigh.  I will revisit this project when I'm not doing any painting or other repair work.  I think I had took much going on, and let this sit way too long unfinished.

I finished the first one in May of 2023, in case you want to see what it should look like (and the pattern link).

. . .from the handiwork journal  © Feb 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Mother Em said…
Me being a "senior" haha, I think those colors would brighten up their darkest days!

Enjoy a sit down today - it is Sunday after all!
Mother Em, that is good to know about the colors, and thanks for the reminder. I thought today was Saturday, ha ha ha!
Debi said…
I think the seniors will absolutely LOVE the bright colors... the ones around here would! So colorful and cheerful. I've tried crocheting with "thread" a few times with very little success. My grandmother tried to teach me when I was about 15 or 16 and she gave up on me! I had all these big loops. I loved the things that she made but trying to learn it myself was sooooo frustrating that it just wasn't worth the agony!
I am sure some of the center's residents would love the bright colored blanket, just like some would prefer softer colors. Personally I like vivid!
Debi, you are spot on about crocheting with thread. I don't know how I managed to sail through the first doily I made. Thanks for the advice on the brighter colors too. I have more scrap yarn with very bright colors leftover.
Anne in the Kitchen, thank you for the advice on the colors too. This is good to know, because I have more leftover yarn with bright colors.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart