Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, February 18, 2024

. . .from the handiwork journal

 


I had a bit of Red Heart's Bright Stripe leftover from a blanket I made for a daughter, so I wanted to use it up somehow.  I decided to incorporate it into another lap afghan, using up other scrap yarns in bright colors.  The blue is from the last lap afghan I made (using up almost all of that blue).



Here is an update on how it's going.  I'm not sure if the seniors will like the bright colors, so it may end up a gift to another person.  


Finished!

  It's probably the most "scrapy" of all my scrap lap afghans so far.

This is all that remains from that one skein of bright stripe yarn.  Saving that small scrap for the local art teacher (if they still use them).







I used about 3 balls of soft violet cotton yarn to make two night stand doilies for one of the kids.  I just used the traditional granny square, but with a solid look.  I had to use a slightly different shade (same name, but color lot was different) to finish the edge.  There is no more violet yarn in my stash now.  All for a good cause I guess.




The second doily for the living room.  Eye rolling, hands in the air moment for me.  I took a closer look, and I had made more than a few mistakes on this one.  It is bound to happen, when I leave a project like this sit for a year.  Unfinished.  I attempted to FROG it, and in the process, it became a knotted mess.  I just cut my losses and cut the thread and disposed of it.  Yes, yes I did.  Sigh.  I will revisit this project when I'm not doing any painting or other repair work.  I think I had took much going on, and let this sit way too long unfinished.

I finished the first one in May of 2023, in case you want to see what it should look like (and the pattern link).

. . .from the handiwork journal  © Feb 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

6 comments:

Mother Em said...

Me being a "senior" haha, I think those colors would brighten up their darkest days!

Enjoy a sit down today - it is Sunday after all!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mother Em, that is good to know about the colors, and thanks for the reminder. I thought today was Saturday, ha ha ha!

Debi said...

I think the seniors will absolutely LOVE the bright colors... the ones around here would! So colorful and cheerful. I've tried crocheting with "thread" a few times with very little success. My grandmother tried to teach me when I was about 15 or 16 and she gave up on me! I had all these big loops. I loved the things that she made but trying to learn it myself was sooooo frustrating that it just wasn't worth the agony!

Anne in the kitchen said...

I am sure some of the center's residents would love the bright colored blanket, just like some would prefer softer colors. Personally I like vivid!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Debi, you are spot on about crocheting with thread. I don't know how I managed to sail through the first doily I made. Thanks for the advice on the brighter colors too. I have more scrap yarn with very bright colors leftover.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Anne in the Kitchen, thank you for the advice on the colors too. This is good to know, because I have more leftover yarn with bright colors.