Skip to main content

Reader Requests ~ Soups/Get Well Baskets

 

Black-eyed Pea and Cabbage Soup - The Southern Lady Cooks (recipe free online).

My take on this soup.  I made it as a crock pot soup.  I used a can of organic black-eye peas vs. dried.  It was delicious.  I will be making this again.  I also used my homemade jalapeno salt to season the meat in it.



Hearty 3-Bean Soup - Clean Food Crush (free recipe online)

My take on this soup - I made it as a crock pot soup, and did not cook any of the veggies in tallow on the stove first.  I used a can of organic fire roasted tomatoes vs the sun dried tomatoes.  I would use home canned tomatoes if we had them. I've made this 3 different times, and each time used up some leftover broth (vegetable, chicken and beef) from various recipes, and we have loved it!

I have a new biscuit recipe to try, that I have had sitting around for a few months now.  I thought it would be nice for the soup meals.  If I ever get around to making it, I will be sharing the results on that too.  

As for the compilation of the get well baskets, I have yet to get that all sorted out.  Various reasons have delayed that, but I will post when I have figured it all out.  Thanks for your patience.  There are many folks dealing with sickness right now, and a 17 year-old girl passed away from the flu in an area hospital here.  I am one to remind my husband to wash his hands up on arriving home from work anymore.

Comments

Faith said…
I'm on a learning curve with Einkorn, because of it's low gluten it works up different, doesn't require a lot of kneading. I made southern gumbo yesterday with black eyed peas. You can get that recipe from Whipowiller Holler on You tube. A good hearty soup.
Betsy said…
The flu does seem to be rampant in many areas. So far our city doesn't seem too hard hit. However, I'm sure it will arrive. Handwashing is the very best preventative other than no contact with others which is virtually impossible.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
A get well basket is a great idea. I need to start keeping the makings on one one hnd all the time.
Faith, thanks, I will look that recipe for gumbo up.
Betsy, I agree, keep those hands washed for sure.
Anne in the kitchen, that is what I am working on, but limited to getting to stores right now.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart