Skip to main content

Sprouting Lentils ~ Blueberry Almond Flour Muffins (The Winner)

 


Do you ever look at the sky and just know what weather is coming?  Or somewhat what to predict yourself?  The sky started out with sunshine.  However...

Yesterday, moments later, the sky looked like snow or rain was coming (I did not watch the news).  

 It brought rain.  A cold, dreary, windy, wet winter day.  

Update on the lentils.  A week and a half went by and the green lentils I had been sprouting got dumped out.




Look at these?  They didn't expire for a few years, and were an off brand I normally do not buy.  I have no idea where I picked them up either.  Anyway, they went in the trash.




I then purchased this brand, and started sprouting them for the chickens.  To my delight, they were sprouting within the first soak (within a few hours).  Literally.  I'll have an update soon I hope.  The chickens have been waiting patiently.



Although it looks like there are not enough blueberries (I added about 1 1/2 cups vs. 1 cup) these were deliciously moist.  My husband took one bite, and said, "Wow!"  I used a different almond flour recipe, and swapped the "almond milk" for buttermilk.  The more "fat" in the milk the more moist the almond flour muffin will be.  I do not buy almond milk, so it was either try these with whole milk or buttermilk (and the buttermilk needed used up first).  I also added cinnamon and nutmeg.

 I used the recipe from Stay Snatched (online), called Easy Sugar Free Blueberry Muffins.  Again, I used monkfruit in ours (no artificial sweetener).  These are a winner diabetic friendly muffin for my husband.  Sorry if this is a boring post, but I wanted to share for those who where watching their sugar/carbs.  I also thawed frozen blueberries for these.  I have to say, we were both impressed, for having made them with almond flour.

Just curious.  What do you like to make with your strawberries you froze last summer?  My absolute favorite is strawberry crumble (obviously not sugar/flour free).


I also agree they are delicious in strawberry pie, but our favorite is strawberry/rhubarb pie (I have zero rhubarb in the freezer).  We love strawberry/blueberry muffins (again, not sugar free, a recipe from long, long ago).  On super hot days, I like to use a mix of our frozen fruit for smoothies.

I have more strawberries in the freezer, and would like to use them before this coming strawberry season.  Any ideas?  The healthier the better. 

Speaking of pie, for years I have used King Flour pie crust crumble recipe.  You make up the dry ingredients with organic shortening and organic butter, and only add the ice water when you are ready to make them.  The crumbles are frozen for easy use.  For the first time last year, my husband complained about the pie crust, saying it was not "flaky" enough.

With that said, do you have a really good, "flaky" pie crust recipe to share (tired and true)?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart