Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, February 16, 2024

Sprouting Lentils ~ Blueberry Almond Flour Muffins (The Winner)

 


Do you ever look at the sky and just know what weather is coming?  Or somewhat what to predict yourself?  The sky started out with sunshine.  However...

Yesterday, moments later, the sky looked like snow or rain was coming (I did not watch the news).  

 It brought rain.  A cold, dreary, windy, wet winter day.  

Update on the lentils.  A week and a half went by and the green lentils I had been sprouting got dumped out.




Look at these?  They didn't expire for a few years, and were an off brand I normally do not buy.  I have no idea where I picked them up either.  Anyway, they went in the trash.




I then purchased this brand, and started sprouting them for the chickens.  To my delight, they were sprouting within the first soak (within a few hours).  Literally.  I'll have an update soon I hope.  The chickens have been waiting patiently.



Although it looks like there are not enough blueberries (I added about 1 1/2 cups vs. 1 cup) these were deliciously moist.  My husband took one bite, and said, "Wow!"  I used a different almond flour recipe, and swapped the "almond milk" for buttermilk.  The more "fat" in the milk the more moist the almond flour muffin will be.  I do not buy almond milk, so it was either try these with whole milk or buttermilk (and the buttermilk needed used up first).  I also added cinnamon and nutmeg.

 I used the recipe from Stay Snatched (online), called Easy Sugar Free Blueberry Muffins.  Again, I used monkfruit in ours (no artificial sweetener).  These are a winner diabetic friendly muffin for my husband.  Sorry if this is a boring post, but I wanted to share for those who where watching their sugar/carbs.  I also thawed frozen blueberries for these.  I have to say, we were both impressed, for having made them with almond flour.

Just curious.  What do you like to make with your strawberries you froze last summer?  My absolute favorite is strawberry crumble (obviously not sugar/flour free).


I also agree they are delicious in strawberry pie, but our favorite is strawberry/rhubarb pie (I have zero rhubarb in the freezer).  We love strawberry/blueberry muffins (again, not sugar free, a recipe from long, long ago).  On super hot days, I like to use a mix of our frozen fruit for smoothies.

I have more strawberries in the freezer, and would like to use them before this coming strawberry season.  Any ideas?  The healthier the better. 

Speaking of pie, for years I have used King Flour pie crust crumble recipe.  You make up the dry ingredients with organic shortening and organic butter, and only add the ice water when you are ready to make them.  The crumbles are frozen for easy use.  For the first time last year, my husband complained about the pie crust, saying it was not "flaky" enough.

With that said, do you have a really good, "flaky" pie crust recipe to share (tired and true)?



No comments: