Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, February 9, 2024

Reading Books

 



It was about the time Mom started to get worse, and rotated from Emergency room to the nursing home, to home and back around again, that I completely lost my reading mojo (2021)

I think more than half of the books Mom had, were from me.  I used to read so often.

I am just starting to get back to reading.  However, with all of the home repairs and renovations going on, I often put it off or completely off for the day.  I often feel guilty for sitting down to read, when I know there is a window trim that needs painted, or a counter full of dishes that need put away, or laundry that needs folded (but more so the home repairs/renovations).

How do you not feel guilty to sit and read on a daily basis?

I am currently reading a book I started back in December.  Seriously.

So....in light of all of that....

Ha!  Trying to squeeze in a few pages when I can.  I was waiting for the blanch water to boil.  

We shall see how this goes.  My one Grandma (Mom's Mom) used to have a book with her all of the time, and I was told she'd even read a book while standing in line (say at the bank or wherever).

We hit a high of 64°F yesterday, and it was warm enough to read on the porch for once.  Getting some fresh air was just a bonus.  We are to hit another 60-ish degree day today (winds as much as  35mph), but it will return to cold again.


Reading Books © Feb 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart




8 comments:

Katie C. said...

Ha! I feel guilty when I have books checked out from the library that I haven’t read yet and they are due in a few days! The ones that I can’t renew because there’s a waiting list. 🙄 “The Maid” by Nita Prose was good. Right now I’m half way through her second book called “The Mystery Guest.”

-Katie C.

Sandi said...

You have to rest sometimes, and read. 🌹

Debby said...

I too have lost the reading mojo I had years ago. I am unable to pile up a bunch of books because my mind is always thinking about what I can do...I guess it's hard for me to just sit and relax. So if one book takes me a few months, So be it. I'm not in any contest. It will get read...eventually.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Katie C., I do the same thing, ha ha! I have to write down the titles, so I can check them out again to finish.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sandi, well, I did that yesterday for once. I know I should be painting, but I sat and read a book.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Debby, thank you for that input. It makes me feel much better. I'm still reading a book from December.

Debi said...

I mostly read at night before going to bed. In warm weather we usually make a point to finish chores by 3:00 pm and then sit outside under our maple tree or on our screened porch and read until it's time to fix dinner. Both my husband and I enjoy reading. Now that we are retired (we're in our 70s) I guess we feel we've earned our reading time!!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Debi, in the summer, I too like to finish up chores by 2-3pm. I like to have that time to do something for me. In the winter, I get a bit off track, as I am inside more than outside. I did sit and read on the porch when we had that wonderful weather. It felt great.