Skip to main content

This and That

 


We've been blessed with some beautiful sun-shiny days, and we are so thankful.  We get more clouds this time of year in our area.  It really does make a difference in your mood.

Hallway update:  all of the door and window trim has been painted. 

Plugs have been ordered for the entry door off the hall.  I guess I never noticed they were missing, until I scrubbed the door and window for priming.  





The plugs have been shipped.  One side had them, and the other did not have them.  We just need to install them before priming.  I didn't have to do this, but future cleaning and any future painting will be much easier.  It will look nicer too.  I used an old toothbrush/vinegar water to clean the holes out.

I finished painting the entire upstairs flooring.  Stairs will be next, but only when I have time.  The hallway is getting full attention right now.



I little ditty about this book.  Mom gave it to me a while back, and it got packed up when we ripped out carpet, and found again.  The back story - Mom handed it to me with a grin on her face, and said "just read it" explaining it was about an autistic boy, and his mother is a vet and brings home a baby skunk.

I read it, and it's getting passed on.  I just need to locate a shipping vessel to get it on its way.  It was a cute book.  A kids book, and I have no idea how or why Mom had it.  

We had a hankering for garden goodies, so I made us a salad.  We sure do miss going out and picking it all fresh.  It'll all be happening again soon.


Bad photo, but do you all remember me blogging, that I was growing sprouts for the chickens?  Well, they are not sprouting. Well, some are just now starting to sprout.  It's been taking forever, and I'm not doing anything different, other than it's a different brand of lentils.  The expiration date is '26 so I'm not sure what's going on.  Bad batch?  I started a second jar to be sure.  If they don't sprout, I'm going back to the store for a different brand.



Fun information to share.  My sister-in-law sent me this photo, and asked if I knew what they were?  They were in some crochet/tatting supplies of her Mothers.  The first person I asked said they were for making bias tape, but the next person told me they were "braid-aids" for making braided rugs, and I do think that is what they are.  If any of you think they are for something else, please comment, but I do (after looking online) think they are for running the fabric through (like a bias tape), to then braid the fabric into a rug.  Very fun stuff if you ask me.  Did you know these existed?  I did not.

I don't make braided rugs anymore, but wanted to share, as I know some of my blog followers still make them.

I got the last of our pre-paid propane ordered.  They only give us so many months to have it delivered, and then it's put as a credit if we do not.  The pre-paid cost is much lower, so we are still trying to gauge what we think we will need each winter.  I'm hoping we are on track, and that the heaters will be off in a month or so.  We've had 60 degree weather in march before.

I have not found a widget of gadget to add to my blog, to all an email contact form.  I want one that will send the email to me, but one that will keep the actual email address private.  Is that even possible?  I'm working on it anyway.  




Comments

R's Rue said…
I love garden goodies.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com
R's Rue, yes, so delicious and healthy.
After we painted our living room - we left the hallway to do after the first of the year. Well here we are, mid-February and it is lying heavy on my mind. It will happen...soon.
Debby, we actually started our hallway almost 3 years ago lol! I'll have some updates soon. Crazy how time can pass so quickly, but life happens.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart