Skip to main content

I tired it recipes, so you don't have to. . .

 

First, here is the link for the Pumpkin baked oatmeal with toasted pecans (The Real Dietitians). 

One of my biggest challenges has been to cook and bake without white flour, sugar and pasta.  Per my husband's doctor's strict instructions (for the last 7 years), I am trying my best, but as a baker and cook from scratch gal, it's been a huge challenge.  Hence, the new recipe trials.



I found this recipe on social media, but have no source for it.  I'm thinking someone just tossed stuff together.  Anyway...

  1st - I added cinnamon and nutmeg, and I'm glad I did.
2nd - they are a bit on the "dry" side, any ideas on what to add that is healthy?
3rd - they need more blueberries
Notes:  I used 1/3 cup monkfruit (I feel monkfruit is sweeter than real sugar), and used homemade vanilla.

I tried this recipe first, as I had frozen (vs. fresh) blueberries, and plain greek yogurt.  Oven bake times may vary, as you see mine are a bit toasty on top.

Mix 3 cups of almond flour with 1 Tbsp. baking soda.

In another bowl, whisk 4 eggs, 1/2 cup Greek plain yogurt, 2/3 cup swerve (or your choice of sweetener), 1 tsp. vanilla.

Mix wet with dry ingredients, and fold in 1 cup of frozen blueberries.  Bake at 375°F for 25 minutes.

I have another recipe that calls for milk and fresh blueberries to try soon as well.

Southern Beefy Skillet.  Delicious.  Uses beans vs. pasta.  Recipe is online with Eating Well (previously Diabetic Living).  Be sure to read the instructions first, as they left out the tomato sauce in the ingredients list.

I didn't quite follow it 100%.  I added a bag of frozen thawed, diced yellow squash to it as well.  I used home canned tomato sauce, the oregano came from the herb garden, and the bell peppers and jalapenos also came from the freezer (from last year's garden).  Sadly, I am out of freezer garden tomatoes.  Other than the addition, and using my homegrown sources, it was very good.  I will be saving this recipe.  I keep cans of organic butter beans on hand on a regular basis.


Butter beans, sausages and kale pesto.  A nice wintery dish. There are a few different recipes online for this, and they never specify exactly what type of "sausages" to use, so I decided to slice and cook turkey sausages (original recipes say to cook whole sausages).  It was delicious.  Next time I will serve a side vegetable too.  I have some kale pesto leftover, so I'll either be freezing it into cubes, or using it for a chicken dinner.  

My blog has once again compromised (or was anyway).  Why?  To annoy me?   Most likely the same person, however, did you know you can report an "issue" on your Google account?  You can. 

Enjoy!  The sun is out again today!






Comments

I have found most of the nut flour sugar substitute recipes are a little (sometimes more than a little) dry. I have found no fix.
Anne in the kitchen, that is what I have been told. They were a bit better the second day, but I will add more blueberries for sure. I have one more recipe to try too. If I don't make sure there are goodies around, my husband tends to bring home bad food lol!
Leigh said…
Anything with sausage is delicious!

For baked goods, isn't applesauce supposed to add moisture? People use it as a fat substitute, but I never pay any attention to that. I do make apple (or pear) sauce spice cakes frequently, and they are always moist and slow to dry out.
Leigh, that is a grand idea. I am completely out of canned applesauce, and I do not add anything to the apples either when I can mine. I will make sure to try this when I replenish our canned applesauce. Thanks.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart