Skip to main content

Bits and Pieces



Good morning my blog world readers.  The cold weather is still lingering, to remind us that winter is not over just yet. 

Happy Valentine's Day!  Hard to believe we are at mid-February already.

Each trip upstairs, I try to pull open craft drawers, and pick anything that needs to be donated.  It feels good to get things organized again, after all these repairs/renovations.  



I'm being pretty successful at purging books.  Funny story.  I was reading a book and realized I had already read it.  I then went to flip through my book journal, and found not only did I read it, but I read two books that my Mom had given me (obviously books I had read, and gave to her).  I had read one in 2004 and the other in 2007.   Those are going to be passed on to a sibling.

I'll be doing better at rotating books out, as they come in. 


I've been busy in the kitchen, more than other work lately.  Pumpkin Oat Breakfast bake.  I love this too!  Not only does it use up that delicious frozen pumpkin puree from the garden, but it's a one bowl mix recipe.  I'll be making some more egg/sausage and cheese cups to go with it.

I also took some blueberries and strawberries out of the freezer to thaw for future dishes.  I have more butternut squash in the freezer I need to use up too.  Not sure what for yet.  

The first recipient (senior center trivia winner, who receives meals on wheels) of one of my crocheted lap afghans and jar openers this winter.  I'm so glad I can make someone happy, and comfortable.








Comments

Making the lap throws for the senior citizen center is such a wonderful mission.
Share the oatmeal bake recipe?
Jackie said…
Happy Valentines Day to you.

God bless.
Anne in the Kitchen, thank you. I posted the link for the recipe on today's post (2/15/2024). Enjoy!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart