Skip to main content

Spring Fever? More like Spring Teaser

 








We are having some wonderfully warmer weather, causing spring fever around here, but it is more like a "teaser" for us.  It will hang around a few days, and then return to colder weather.

The spring-like temperatures are making me yearn for the gardens again.  Half of my chickens are laying again.  Woohoo to that.  

I'm also growing sprouts for a "spring" weather treat for the chickens.  They will be tickled pink when they are ready.

I was just reading about how lettuce will thrive better, if you plant it with your chives.  Have any of my garden growing blogger friends done this?

My chives are in my herb garden, so I am hesitant to plant anything but herbs in the same area, so I don't bring in any bugs/worms that may be attracted to it.  I once planted Swiss chard in my herb garden, and it grew wonderfully (without any additional insect issues).

The idea of trying this method, with the lettuce, is intriguing.  One, the lettuce would be closer to the house, making salads quicker to make, and two, if it is true then we'd have more in abundance.  I'm reading that the chives actually keep the bugs away from the lettuce.  

Spring Fever?  More like Spring Teaser  © Feb 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Debi said…
What beautiful photographs! Thanks for sharing... it's been so dark and dreary here that your photos were a real pick me up!
Debi, so glad you enjoyed the photos. I try to get photos of the sunrise when the colors are spectacular.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart