Skip to main content

Canning Ketchup ~ Black and Blue Cheese Butter with Whiskey

The bad news?

This is the last of the tomatoes that I picked the other day.



The good news? 



I had enough to can ketchup.  The tomatoes are officially done in the garden however.  It's time to start pulling dead plants out now.




Dinner - grilled steaks that were marinated, baked sweet potatoes and grilled asparagus. Hubby was called into work, just as the steaks hit the grill.

....the topping?


I have been doing a bit of baking with booze again. I made a butter for steaks (our first steaks this year), but it can also sweeten up sweet potatoes.   



I creamed the organic butter (you could use homemade too), and mixed in 1/4 cup of crumbled blue cheese, and 1 Tbsp. of Jack Daniel's Whiskey.

 
Chop enough parsley and chives to get about 1 Tbsp. each and add that to the mixture.  I just picked mine from my herb garden, but I'm thinking this would be good with a few other herbs too.  Hmm.

Anyway, next mince and crush one small clove of garlic (I just used my mincer then pressed with the side of a knife), and mix that in the butter mixture.


I did not roll my butter up, as the recipe stated. I simply put it in a glass container, which could be later put into the freezer until the next time we need it.  I does become very solid in the refrigerator, so I have to take it out to soften just a bit before the meal.  Original recipe is from the Jack Daniel's Cookbook, by Lynne Tolley and Mindy Merrell. I simply adapted it with organic/homegrown ingredients.

Organic/grass fed beef is terribly expensive.  It was our "treat" dinner, considering I only had to cook for four last night.

The weather has been so wonderful, and I was visited by a yellow/black finch, and this butterfly on the porch.

After a long day at the stove, I relaxed on the porch with Youngest Daughter.  Both of us had a small pity party discussing that we wish were were camping.  We are looking forward to cards on the porch tonight.

Comments

Mama Pea said…
I haven't made catsup since a thousand years ago when we lived in Illinois and I had so many tomatoes I could never use them all up. If I ever figure out a way to grow a quantity of tomatoes again, I'd be super-elated to get enough to make enough canned quarts of stewed tomatoes to last us the year!

Hope you got your evening of cards on the porch last night. I sat down on the couch to read at 8:30 and kept falling asleep so got up and went to bed!
Mama Pea, I felt like that last season - so many tomatoes (but loved it over winter). The weather last night was so nice we needed jackets and pants. Today however, it is hot, humid, and a chance of a thunderstorm.
I would love to make Ketchup! Yours always looks so yummy, and I know it's fresh and not full of bad stuff. I wonder if I could get my hubby to eat it. There's no telling with him. He'll try it and say that's good...but then won't eat it again!
I love sweet potatoes. I had a huge one tonite. He won't eat it, so I split it and put the other half back into the fridge in a wrapper. I'll cook it up on Monday.
Hope you got to play cards on the porch. I know you like it.
We've been playing YAHTZEE!
it's fun. ;)
Patricia, I hope to plant some sweet potatoes next year. They test even better home grown. Our grocery has organic right now. Easy to cook and delicious.
RB said…
All sounds so lovely. We had BBQ ribs. I'd gotten the package for two reduced for $4.39 (I work at the store). We had ribs and slaw the first day. Then went and got some mini Kaiser Rolls, shredded the ribs and have been having it on sandwiches on the rolls. Very good.
Ya'all have a GREAT week.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, the sandwiches with slaw sound wonderful!
Katmom said…
Steak, sweet taters & asparagus... for dinner? and you didn't call me over? oh sigh...
Dinner looked yummy!
>^..^<
Katmom, Lol!By the way I made that raisin bread recipe! The family is already asking for more! Thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart